More serious Quotes

grannywils

@Grannywils, re our conversation.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best."

~Voltaire

" In war there is no prize for the runner-up."

~General Omar Bradley

"No one ever goes into battle thinking God is on the other side."

~Terry Goodkind

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace."

~George Washington

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good one Silver.

Aurielius: Ditto:

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to all living things, man will not find peace" - Albert Schweitzer

"It isn't enought to talk about peack; one must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe it it; one must work at it." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"War is an invention of the human mind. The human mind can invent peace" - Norman Cousins

"Pessimism never won any battle" - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"I prefer the most unfair peace to the most righteous war" - Cicero

"Peace hath her victories, no less renowned than war"

I like this one: If the pursuit of peace is both old and new, it is also both complicated and simple. It is complicated, for it has to do with people, and nothing in this universe baffles man as much as man himself." Adlai Stevenson (a man I admired very much)

Those who should hear, they'll hear nevermore,

Destroyed, dispersed is the proud host of yore;

With thirteen thousand their trail they began,

Only one man returned from Afghanistan."

_ Theodor Fontane, Tragedy of Afghanistan, 1857

Take your protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

@ Surenas A wide traveled man indeed and a good poem writer for I know because I like him and most of his poems. I like from him "Sir Ribbeck of Ribbeck" and the ballad of "The Bridge by the Tay" most.

Found both of them but sadly the English version of The Bridge by the Tay lose a lot in translation. So I Simply add her the links:

Sir Ribbeck of Ribbeck

The Bridge by the Tay

But I quote my own translation of the verse that I think is most relevant for the Brige by Tay

My translation of Theodor Fontane (mine is nearer to the German version)

"Auntie, Auntie,

is this creation by hand of man."

Norman Barry's Translation

"Sand, sand,

All that is built by the hand of man!"

Some times I feel sorry because of the barrier of language for this can sometimes do more harm to good poet than a critic.

Edited by SilverDNA

@Silver

Yup! One of my favourite novels is still his 'Effi Briest', much more than Tolstoy's 'Anna Karenina' or Flaubert's 'Madame Bovary'. In so far I'm absolutely not in the wake of the literary ideals once posited by Thomas Mann :pinch:

So this, then, was the kernel of the brute!

_ J. W. v. Goethe, Faust, 1808

A few for your side Aurielius (maybe):

"A conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerilla wins if it does not lose" - Henry Kissinger

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say: "This was their finest hour." - Winston Churchill (An admirable quote, speach and book, I must say)

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me; Shall be my brother" - William Shakespeare (loved the play)

"If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles" - Sun Tzu (you may or may not recall, my favorite tactician)

but then he also said....

"The supreme excellence is not to win a hundred victories in a hundred battles. The supreme excellence is to subdue the armies of your enemies without even having to fight them" - Sun Tzu

"A war regarded as inevitable or even probable, and therefore much prepared for, has a very good chance of eventually being fought" -Anais Nin

"Today the real test of power is not capacity to make war but capacity to prevent it" - Anne O'Hare McCormick

"Could I have but a line a century hence crediting a contribution to the advance of peace, I would yield every honor which has been accorded by war."

- Douglas MacArthur

"If few can stand a long war without deterioration of soul, none can stand a long peace."

- Oswald Spengler

"You don't make peace with friends. You make it with very unsavory enemies."

- Yitzhak Rabin

"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."

- Benedict Spinoz