More serious Quotes

grannywils

"Could I have but a line a century hence crediting a contribution to the advance of peace, I would yield every honor which has been accorded by war."

- Douglas MacArthur

"If few can stand a long war without deterioration of soul, none can stand a long peace."

- Oswald Spengler

"You don't make peace with friends. You make it with very unsavory enemies."

- Yitzhak Rabin

"Peace is not an absence of war, it is a virtue, a state of mind, a disposition for benevolence, confidence, justice."

- Benedict Spinoz

Aurielius: Not surprisingly, a couple of these were actually ones I had considered posting. I guess great minds think, or at least read, alike.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

-Thomas Henry Huxley, biologist (1825-1895)

"One can never pay in gratitude; one can only pay "in kind" somewhere else in life."

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh, writer (1906-2001)

"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

-Albert Camus

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

-Eric Hoffer

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials."

-Chinese Proverb

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."

-Paulo Freire, educator (1921-1997)

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."

-Thomas Henry Huxley, biologist (1825-1895)

"One can never pay in gratitude; one can only pay "in kind" somewhere else in life."

-Anne Morrow Lindbergh, writer (1906-2001)

"You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life."

-Albert Camus

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

-Eric Hoffer

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials."

-Chinese Proverb

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral."

-Paulo Freire, educator (1921-1997)

Ninja: I love all of these, especially the Eric Hoffer. I just think he had the most amazing mind. Thanks for these. They're great.

Always happy to oblige you Granny. :wink:

I memorized this one to anwer my own question of "Why do people always change?"

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women; merely players. They have their entrances and their exits, and one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"; Act II, Scene 7

"It is time for us to win the first war of the 21st century."

_ George W. Bush

[On war on terrorism, White House press conference, September 16, 2001]

"And they all waited happily ever after."

_ Hannah

[On war on terrorism, Bar-Ilan University, June 4, 2009]

Take your protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

"It is time for us to win the first war of the 21st century."

_ George W. Bush

[On war on terrorism, White House press conference, September 16, 2001]

"And they all waited happily ever after."

_ Hannah

[On war on terrorism, Bar-Ilan University, June 4, 2009]

Take your protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

Ah, yes indeed.

“I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.” Jack Handy

"True love does not come by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."Jason Jordan

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

Friedrich Nietzsche

RedVexHK: Thank you for all of those. They were marvelous. For some reason, you've made me want to add a few about or from women:

"People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute" - Rebecca West

"In the sex-war, thoughtlessness is a weapon of the male, vindictiveness of the female. Both are reciprocally generated, but a woman's desire for revenge outlasts all other emotion. Yet when every unkind word about women has been said, we have still to admit, with Byron, that they are nicer than men. They are more devoted, more unselfish and more emotionally sincere. When the long fuse of cruelty, deceit and revenge is set alight, it is male thoughtlessness which has fired it." - Cryil Connolly

"A woman is the only thing that I am afraid of that I know will not hurt me" - Abraham Lincoln

"One is not born a woman - one becomes one" - Simone de Beauvoir

"Nobody objects to a woman being a good writer or sculptor or geneticist if at the same time she manages to be a good wife, good mother, good looking, good tempered, well groomed and unaggressive." - Leslie M. McIntyre

"Nature is in earnest when she makes a woman." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Love that last one.

This one would go hand in hand with it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion."

-Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE) :laugh: