Real time rendering software

jtucker40

Hi all,

This is mainly directed towards those who are in the 3d modelling side of the modding spectrum. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good free real time rendering software programs that I could use to create a pretty-looking render (for use in the images tab of the mod) of any new guns that I may be cranking out in the near future. At this point what I use to create the render of my models is just using the snipping tool to take a screenshot of the viewport in 3ds max (I use Xoliul's Shader to display textures).

I am not a professional graphics modeller, and do not have a high end graphics card/don't want to pay any money, so perhaps if there is an outdated version of a program out there for free I would love it someone could point me in that direction. Thanks!

If you already have 3ds-Max, why would you want to bother with another renderer? 3ds-Max does it all doesn't it? I use it as well but because I only create objects for games I've never bothered with renders. The closest I get is to use the hotkey combo 'SHIFT-Q' for quick renders of each perspective. Maybe that it is good enough for your needs?

I'm pretty sure that 3ds-Max is capable of ray-traced renders using it's Mental Ray renderer. You just need to know how to use it.

If the above doesn't help I'd suggest using Max's built-in help files to learn more about renders or Googling how to go about it.

I'm sure 3ds max has the capabilities, the only issue is that I am not at all familiar with the Render Setup menu and all of the other intricacies.

When I press shift-q to get a quick render, none of my diffuse/normal/specular maps show up on the model, it only displays the blank standard material. Is there any way I can get the render to display my diffuse/specular/normal maps?

Edited by jtucker40

When I press shift-q to get a quick render, none of my diffuse/normal/specular maps show up on the model, it only displays the blank standard material. Is there any way I can get the render to display my diffuse/specular/normal maps?

That's strange... When I do a quick-render, it shows up looking just like what I see in the perspective views.

Are you using a non-standard material of some sort? Whether you're using the standard Blinn shader or the Niftools version, it should come out properly when rendered. Maybe try NOT using that shader you named and see what happens.

Do you have the Material editor set to 'Hardware display with maps'? You can find this setting in the menus of the editor window.

Beyond the above suggestions, I'm not sure how much more help I can be... Good luck!

Xoliul's Shader it's already sort of "realtime rendering", the shift-q thing wouldn't be realtime, so not sure what you really want... anyway get marmoset toolbag: http://www.marmoset.co

edit; just read you want something free... i think you can get pretty good results with Xoliul's Shader.

Edited by FrankFamily

Ok so I downloaded the trial version of marmoset, and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted, however 30 days from now there's no way I'm going to be paying $129 for the full version.

Is there any way to take high-resolution renders with Xoliul's Shader? Up until now all I've been doing is just the snipping tool of the viewport.