Knowledge vs Equipment

antonkr

with knowledge come ideas

with ideas comes other ways

with other ways comes the unexpected

with the unexpected comes loss of the enemy

with loss of the enemy come victory.

if you have th eknowledge of the enemy's equipment, and have more skill than them, you can use the terrain to circumvent the enemy.

And more to the point, a veteran would be more experienced in dealing with a combat situation, so would not only be less likely to piss himself the moment fighting actually broke out, but would also be able to make use of features in the terrain to overcome any system. Furthermore, the veteran would probably have been fully debriefed on the system being used by the rookie, may have even used it himself, and would therefore have some idea of how to disable most, if not all of its advantages. The more technology someone has, the more reliant that person becomes on it, the easier it is to undermine both the technology and the user. Most imaging devices tend to be rather useless in smoke or fog. Most electronic components are sensitive to extremes of vibration, shock, or moisture. Meaning that something as simple as lighting part of the area ablaze, or rigging a flashbang trap could make even more advanced systems little more than dead weight.

a street punk isnt going to wet himself, he has fought before. not in that situation, but a street punk nonetheless will be able to fight

A "life long war experience" implies that you are a veteran of many conflicts, I am aware of your dual citizenship Surenas but are you not currently residing in Holland? The Dutch have not been at war since 1940 and it must be difficult to conduct middle eastern operations from such a removed distance.

Having fought three wars I still would hesitate to advance my credentials to that level. The point of service is to get home alive, sometimes that means knowing when to run and when to stand and fight. A veteran is someone who knows the difference. There have been times when I knew that it was time "to get the hell out of Dodge " before I ended up in tiny pieces.

Are your kidding? I am no ancient tactitian, hello, even if I am a few years longer here on the Nexus than you. And my name is everything but Tyrtaios or Homer. Be so kind to read first before you post humbug. Thanks.

Not to have been a coward in the past, to be still alive, that's one of the criteria that makes out a veteran.

A certain weapon might be a fetish at the homefront, but that's absolutely no guarantee for survival at war.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying since you have a habit of never talking straigh; but I'm tempted to think that the suggestion that in order to be a veteran you need to still be alive, and usually by means of running away, is an insult to anyone who is in the armed forces. They did not remain alive because of cowardice, they remained alive because they went though the best military training in the world, and made it through a tour without being killed in the service of their country. To even suggest that some of the soldiers out there are not able to keep their head together in a fight is an insult. A soldier, even a green one, does not run away or allow fear to take control of them. There is a huge difference in both the mentality and ability between some bronze-age conscript given no training, and armed with whatever was on hand, and a soldier who was trained for battle and armed with weapons that they are experienced and proficient at using.

Exactly, Vagrant, I could not put it better. All soldiers started as rookies, and were green once. And they felt fear and apprehension - my Grandad Aaron told me from his rookie first time "in Flanders field" going "over the top" in the autumn of 1914, to the last (he was found half dead on the battlefield on 11/11/1918), every time he heard that whistle blow, there would be an instant when his knees felt weak before he hoicked himself up the ladder anyway and ran towards the action. That's what a professional soldier does, he takes control and does his duty.

A "life long war experience" implies that you are a veteran of many conflicts, I am aware of your dual citizenship Surenas but are you not currently residing in Holland? The Dutch have not been at war since 1940 and it must be difficult to conduct middle eastern operations from such a removed distance.

Having fought three wars I still would hesitate to advance my credentials to that level. The point of service is to get home alive, sometimes that means knowing when to run and when to stand and fight. A veteran is someone who knows the difference. There have been times when I knew that it was time "to get the hell out of Dodge " before I ended up in tiny pieces.

Are your kidding? I am no ancient tactitian, hello, even if I am a few years longer here on the Nexus than you. And my name is everything but Tyrtaios or Homer. Be so kind to read first before you post humbug. Thanks.

You set the criterion for your level of experience, I didn't realize that you considered debating a "life long war experience" I erroneously assumed you meant experience in combat. I can read quite well thank you and do have a reasonable knowledge of the subject first hand. By the way Homer and Tyrtaios are poets not tacticians.