Why can't NPCs use Telekenesis?

BFG99

I've been playing Oblivion nearly since it came out 5 years ago, and yet it just struck me tonight that no one in Oblivion besides the player can use Telekenesis! Why?

I think it would have HUGE potential if NPCs were able to as well. Having not done that type of modding, I have NO idea what would be involved, but given that it would take AI scripts I'm betting it would be rather involved.

NPCs are controlled by Artificial Intelligence (AI) scripts. to program in something like telekinesis you would have to program in an entire new set of responses - such as when do they use it, where, what to use it on, and who has the ability. I could foresee thousands of lines of code to do it even poorly. and every time the script ran it would slow things down while it made it's decisions. The script would have to run every time an NPC did something so it would run often.

Another possibility is to limit it's use to certain specific situations where a specific NPC can use it for a specific purpose and that purpose only - such as lifting welkynd stones down from places where they cannot be reached. In this case, the script would only run when that NPC was in range of a stone and the game required that NPC and not the player to get the stone. - An example would be for the player to tell a companion to get the stone.

It allows you to move things beyond your reach: like those tricky welkynd stones.

Erm, fireball and scramble around to see where it landed? Or, taking the time to realize that all those stones aren't going to be used for anything, so aren't rightly worth getting.

Think I tired using telekenesis on one of those stones once, still knocked the thing off its holder and didn't do a lick of good.

In the mod Fearsome Magicka, they somehow managed to get NPCs to use their spells. Frequently, and in actually appropriate situations. If you're wondering how to make NPCs use pretty much any spell in certain situations, I suggest you look at that mod's script to see what it's actually doing. Plus, I've never noticed it causing any lag.