Wisp Support Race

If any of you have ever played KOTOR, I liked how the droids in that game had a different equipment setup than humanoids. Like, where humans had a "Head" slot, they had a "Sensor" slot. I also liked how droids acted as a more "support" partner. So, I was hoping for a race of "Wisps" which looks similar to Will'O-The-Wisps, which acted as a more support partner and had a different equipment setup. Wisps wouldn't (and couldn't) use armor like other races, they would use specially made "wisp tokens" or something of the sort that can be equipped to change their stats. So, an example of a wisp token would be

Endurance Token, Head Slot

Which would give +2 endurance to the wisps. You wouldn't have to code in a new armor system, just have an invisible helm that has a script which checks if the wearer is part of the wisp race. If they aren't a wisp, the token can't be equipped.

In addition, they wouldn't (and couldn't) use normal weapons. They absolutely must use spells. When you talk to them, instead of the normal speech, they have some random chimey sounds (this is mostly to skip out on voice acting for a trippy glowing ball...). This is really just an idea, so present your comments/suggestions/corrections/questions on it. I would love to have this in game. :D

Edit: Also, this would be a partner-only race, not a player race. :P