Foul language

TheCalliton

I just hate when a short linguisted person shout "F.... you" 5 times to expres his dislike of another person. It sounds even more hatefull in Danish when they use the "F" word and the Danish word for "You".

Even in a foreing languish like English, I can find many alternative words to express my discontent with another being. Should I need to emphasize my point in a debate, well I better know what I am talking about, and use the proper scientific words needed.

Here's one even worse than that - when they use the F word like punctuation.

No joke. I was in line for a movie and there was these 4 teenagers in front of me, one of them is talking and I am standing there looking at the young 20-something couple behind me with their two kids who are squirming like crazy. So I eavesdrop the kid's conversation and here this enlightened statement:

"So f***in' Bill goes over to f***in' Sara's and starts f***in' banging on her f***in' door f***in' screaming at her to f***in' let him the f*** in."

Ah, the youth of this great nation - so educated, well-behaved, and well-mannered. Their parents must be so proud :rolleyes:

I look at the family behind me and tell them, "I got this" and tap the kid in front of me with the colourful vocabulary on the shoulder. He turns and says, "Yeah?" to which I reply, "Did you know that there are over 275,000 words in the English language?" He says he did not know that and I tell him, "Well now you do - so pick another word and use that"

Embarassed him to death - everyone else in line thought it was hilarious. :laugh:

lol.

I acutally rarely cuss, and i don't use much worse than "dammit" or "hell", because i find it makes everything you say sound stupider.

......because i find it makes everything you say sound stupider.

man...you actually misused the word stupid!...lol

on topic: What's wrong with swear words? why do people think it's "proper" to avoid certain words while in mixed company?

moreover, why are there so many words to describe dirty words?: bad words, cuss words, dirty talk, profaning, cursing, swearing... they call them filthy, foul, vile, vulgar, coarse, in poor taste, unseemly, street talk, gutter talk, locker room language, barracks talk, bawdy, naughty, saucy, raunchy, rude, crude, lude, lascivious, indecent, profane, obscene, blue, off-color, risqué,suggestive...

I know that it’s not right to cuss up a storm during church (I’m sure that “pass the f*cking collection plate” wouldn’t go over well), but I’m also sure that showing your anger over a blown call for your favorite team would sound awkward if done so in the fashion of the Cleavers (“Golly gee! You blew the goshdarn call!”)

... on second thought... F*CK THAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L2S2zsCr0

on topic: What's wrong with swear words? why do people think it's "proper" to avoid certain words while in mixed company?

moreover, why are there so many words to describe dirty words?: bad words, cuss words, dirty talk, profaning, cursing, swearing... they call them filthy, foul, vile, vulgar, coarse, in poor taste, unseemly, street talk, gutter talk, locker room language, barracks talk, bawdy, naughty, saucy, raunchy, rude, crude, lude, lascivious, indecent, profane, obscene, blue, off-color, risqué,suggestive...

I know that it’s not right to cuss up a storm during church (I’m sure that “pass the f*cking collection plate” wouldn’t go over well), but I’m also sure that showing your anger over a blown call for your favorite team would sound awkward if done so in the fashion of the Cleavers (“Golly gee! You blew the goshdarn call!”)

... on second thought... F*CK THAT!

I see 2 problems. To hell with the church if you really like to curse, talk dirty or what ever. It is what YOU like and not what others or a group of secular individuals like.

Second problem is, if it becomes a habit, your language becomes narrow. In a greater philosophical debate, it wil be rather difficult to express your self with "F*ck"-"Golly gee"- and "Groovy"

Balagor, I think you are right on point. I guess any language (particulary an adjective) if it becomes one's only means of expression, can become meaningless if overused. Language is so beautiful when used properly, and it seems a shame to waste it with profanity or as someone just said, "Golly Gee", or California Girl talk, when we can express ourselves in such a myriad of lovely or not so lovely ways if we really take the time. We can certainly express anger very effectively with or without the use of profanity. I would not for a moment suggest that it never be used. I have certainly used it. But I find it much more effective when I use it rarely; and I have managed to make my anger known quite clearly without so much as damn ever crossing my sweet little lips. By the same token our words of love or gratitude or congratulations or whatever can be well thought out and expressed so that they have real meaning. After all, words are usually addressed to another human being, and it is nice to take that human being into consideration when using them. After all this talk about the use of words, I find that I have been quite inarticulate here, and I do apologize, but I must run, and do not have time to re-compose this. I hope I have at least managed to make my point. Thanks for listening.

I'm always delighted to describe such foul words in a metaphor or describe them. Yes, I know it makes some conversations awful long but more educational funny for me and maybe for those who listen.  

Ain't foul words just words? I'll bet in the future that those words will be forgotten, replaced by even fouler words.

In all seriousness, people just need to be more vigilant about which words they use. You can't beep foul language as it is an invasion of free speech but you can't use it as it is rude as well. I guess if you want to prove your point but not get banned you need to keep a thesaurus close to you and use it when ever you need to. Well that's my short two cents anyway