GPU or CPU?

chgharland

I read a long tutorial and pyffied the meshes myself but it didn't really help.

At home now:

Trying it again in Anvil with Better Cities activated. I think it's due to the increased number of NPC's as well as the buildings etc. Although Vanilla Imperial City will slow a bit due when there's lots of NPC's around.

I'm getting a lot of stuttering when the Total BSTask and Queued Reference Counts go up above 200.

Using GPU-Z I can also see that:

Max Memory Used = 509MB

Max GPU Load = 96%

So GPU is nearly maxxed out.

I read a long tutorial and pyffied the meshes myself but it didn't really help.

At home now:

Trying it again in Anvil with Better Cities activated. I think it's due to the increased number of NPC's as well as the buildings etc. Although Vanilla Imperial City will slow a bit due when there's lots of NPC's around.

I'm getting a lot of stuttering when the Total BSTask and Queued Reference Counts go up above 200.

Using GPU-Z I can also see that:

Max Memory Used = 509MB

Max GPU Load = 96%

So GPU is nearly maxxed out.

At least a 1GB GPU...

Just for reference, I have the ATI 5870 with 2GB. I'm running BC but not QTP, and my FPS in cities is still pitiful. Under 10 depending on where I am. A killer vid card won't help much with that; it doesn't get too much better than mine. Oblivion sucks CPU like a vaccuum. I have a 2.8GHz i7 with TurboBoost (an Intel booster that supposedly bumps it to over 3.0 although I haven't done any benchmarks while running Oblivion) and I STILL feel lucky when my FPS hits 20 in the middle of a city.

I've found that if I stand in the IC Market District about halfway between the gate and the city center, and face towards the middle of the district, my FPS runs around 5 - 8. If I turn my char around, not moving at all mind you, simply rotating in place to face the gate, it jumps to 25 or higher. The framerate hit comes from all those objects and NPCs and items in cities... it's just too much.

If your aim is better FPS in the cities, don't break the bank on a top of the line video card and assume that will fix the issue; you'll be disappointed.

To be honest, my recommendation would be to uninstall Better Cities. I know it's a great mod but your current machine is really struggling with it. You've already tried Streamline, OSR, and PyFFI which will help about as much as possible.

The only other thing I can recommend is try lowering your uGridDistant settings in Oblivion.ini. This often improves framerate by telling Oblivion to load less distant detail. (Don't touch the uGridstoLoad setting though - it should always be 5.)

what you guys seems to be missing is that Oblivion IS a 2007 game and seeing the crazy specs you guys are pulling its no wonder that its not really working. Why? Because in 2007, they werent those killing monster Cores and Graphics Cards, it was mostly designed for single core computers, also the hasty release of the game made Bethesda overlook some things.

Hell, i have a moderate machine myself and i cant seem to make BC working smoothly.

I stand with BFG99, yeah you should prolly uninstall BC.

Or if you REALLY want to play with BC, your only choice is this:

Set your resolution to 800x600 (Yeah i know), play the game in windowed mod, decrease the texture size to small and generally put down everything to lowest.