Download problems

Th3UniQu3

EDIT: THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED BY RE-ROUTING THE DMZ HOST IN MY ROUTER TO MY LOCAL IP (192.168.1.100)

Hello,

I appear to be having a rather pesky and very sticky problem with downloading from any nexus site (Dragonagenexus, Tesnexus, Fallout3nexus),

I have read many many many other topics of other people with download problems, but none of them actually helped.

The problem (oh how I LOVE computers -_-):

- I am unable to download any files, after clicking the desired server, and I tried all three of them, the connection simply times out after about 15 seconds.

Error Message (Translated, it was in Dutch so it may not be 100% accurate):

"The connection has timed out.

The server at fs3.dragonagenexus.com is taking too long to respond. (it happens on all servers btw, not just fs3)

* Perhaps the site is currently unavailable or overloaded. Try again shortly. (To no avail.)

* Check your internet connection and make sure Firefox is connected to the internet. (I am pretty sure I have a connection, yeah.)"

I have also tried Internet Explorer, I disabled all my internet protection (Firewall, Pop-up blockers, Browser Settings, you name it)

I have added the nexus sites to the exception list in my browser options.

Now here's the funny part: I CAN download files smaller than 2MB just fine, the download starts in less than 5 seconds...

To be honest, I get the feeling the download servers are blocking my download requests...

Hope anyone here can shed some light on this, because its quite annoying, and that's an understatement.

I may sound a bit agitated in my post, but I assure you that any help will be greatly appreciated, even if you tell me to re-install Windows, which I probably won't do. >_<

Th3UniQu3

Already tried to delete your broken download stuff that's located in the temporary folder?

If memory serves, Firefox tries to connect for a mere 15 seconds before declaring an error and telling the user to try again. Thus you might add (or change) the following entry to your registry file:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DNSQueryTimeouts

Multi String: "4 8 8 16 32 0" (was "1 2 2 4 8 0")

Take your protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

EDIT:

I have added the multi-string value with the help of Google :P

Unfortunately it did not work... :wallbash:

Also, I do not know if this value only helps with Firefox problems, but the problem also persists on Internet Explorer.

EDIT:

I have added the multi-string value with the help of Google :P

Unfortunately it did not work... :wallbash:

Also, I do not know if this value only helps with Firefox problems, but the problem also persists on Internet Explorer.

Value is related to the Firefox DNS problem. Already tried out Internet Explorer? Never heard of such a prob in connection with IE up to now.

Yep, both Firefox and Internet Explorer refuse to work... the moment I select a download server: Firefox says: Connection Timed Out and Internet Explorer says: Connection Failed...

Yep, both Firefox and Internet Explorer refuse to work... the moment I select a download server: Firefox says: Connection Timed Out and Internet Explorer says: Connection Failed...

This machine came loaded with a free Norton? Firewall and other Security software checked?

Check System event logs for Internet service interruptions; to view the Windows Event Viewer Start > Run > eventvwr

My system had a clean install of Windows 7, Norton has never been installed

I have AVG and I completely shut it down, from Resident shield, to Firewall, to Link Scanner, etc, all parts have been completely disabled.

My WIndows Firewall has been completely disabled.

I checked the event-viewer but I'm not really sure what to look at... I browsed through the error logs but nothing really caught my eye, there is nothing that explicitly said: "Connection Refused" or anything of the like...

I just checked again, and downloading files smaller than 2MB works fine, so I honestly don't think that my Firewall or security settings are the sources of the problem, because they do grant access to those downloads.

I'm starting to feel hopeless, I never had this problem with anything before, at least not with AVG off...

Try out this (or another) Mozilla Support file, perhaps we've missed something up to now.

You're using AVG as anti-virus, and then there's also a chance that you're infected with something (both IE and Firefox fail), as several bad viruses just blow right past AVG, and it's not an adequate scanner imo. The first thing that you should download immediately is the free malwarebytes' anti-malware to make sure that your machine is clean.

By the maker!

The problem is more or less "solved", my Router was blocking the site for some reason, re-routing my DMZ host to my local IP has done the trick.

It might be a problem with opening up a certain port then, because it would be crazy to enable and disable my DMZ all the time, not that I'm too lazy to do it.

I think, after pinging the servers and checking the internet, the nexus servers use Port 21? (I am inexperienced in this, so forgive me if this sounds stupid >_<)

I'll try opening a few up, but for now I can atleast download from DANexus again, and that alone is enough to make me jump in the air!

I added my solution to the main post, it might just help a few other people, who knows.

Is it perhaps possible that my IP has been blacklisted by the servers? I am most certainly not a spammer but the same thing happens on my fathers computer, and he has a completely different system, different anti-virus, different browser, and most importantly: a different OS (Windows XP)

We do, however, share the same 77.(etc) IP adress...

... and thus the same router, which would refer back to shared malware, for example.

However, the 2MB limit is apparently not unknown here, so there should be an internal server problem as well.

I've never experienced such a problem myself during all the years on the Nexus, so I'm almost at my wit's end. Sorry.