How to make an automatically scaled burden spell?

FireFlickerFlak

Hi, I am learning to mod, just starting, and have a magic overhaul I want to make. You can email me at [email protected] or look at my topic in mod descussion if you want to know what I'm planning, but this topic is just to get the basics started.

So the simple question is this: How do I make a custom burden spell that has a functional magnitude. For example, if I want it to cause a burden on touch for a magnitude of 2x the caster's alteration skill for maybe 30 seconds. I am really hoping I can do this function without creating a million different spells that keep replacing each other. I'm thinking the script would be in the first part of the three sections of spell script but I've never made a mod so Im pretty open to ideas.

Thanks!

I think simply making a script to remove and add a stronger spell on every few skill level ups would be your best bet, even if you don't like it :P

Hmmm how sure are you?

It would be impossible or just hard to do it the other way?

Also, could you try to explain why it would be hard to have a variable burden effect?

If you have OBSE you could try the functions GetNthActiveEffectCaster or GetActiveEffectCasters to find out who had cast the spell. From there you could find that NPC's skill level (GetActorValue). Then use that info to edit the spell as you like.

If you have OBSE you could try the functions GetNthActiveEffectCaster or GetActiveEffectCasters to find out who had cast the spell. From there you could find that NPC's skill level (GetActorValue). Then use that info to edit the spell as you like.

Cool, I'll look into obse scripts, I bet there is a guide for that somewhere, I'll try to google it. As for why burden, I am planning on editing all spells and figured burden would be a good simple example. I also think burden could be one of the coolest spells if kinda heavily modified, but that's a whole different topic. I contacted the chargeable spells modder but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully he let's people look at his script.

Another non-OBSE trick is to use tokens...you make a blank item of weight 1.0 and value 1.0 without any models or biped slots. Make sure the item is not playable.

Next you make a spell script that starts by removing 9999 of the tokens from the target. Calculate the scale of the effect, and add that many tokens to the target. At the end of the spell, remove 9999 of the tokens again.