Looking for a very knowledgeable Oblivion player/ modder...

Dustonimore

Ok, so I have asked all over this forum, other forums, friends, basically EVERYWHERE for a solution to my problem. I know this should be in the "technical support section" but I have asked there many times with no answer... :P I figured there are more people reading this section so I'd post it here. So here's the problem: I deleted all my old mods, and restored the original files anew. By that time, everything was working perfectly. As I started to re - play the game, I noticed that every time an autosave occured (or every time I manually saved it), it said it was corrupt. So I went to my saves folder and I looked and saw a "folder for my current profile"; nothing was in it but files were outside it. I did the whole rename the bak to ess trick with no luck. I deleted all saves and tried playing again. No matter how many times I tried to save it in any ways, it said it was corrupt. Sorry for this lengthy message but I really need help now because I'm not going to reinstall everything and all of my mod programs cause it would take forever. :wallbash: Thanks in advance... :P

I'm pretty sure the best solution for this problem would be a reinstall unfortunately. When a file is corrupt, you can't really do nothing about it other than reinstalling to refresh the official files and put them back to the right directory. When editting, moving or removing files, this kind of thing will most likely happen if it hasn't been done right. It might be possible that there is a bugged file, which would be an option if you removed, replaced or editted files many times. Remember to always keep the setup of your games/mods at all time so when this kind of problem occurs, you dont have to redownload everything. If I was you, I would reinstall, it would probly save you more time than if you actually look for the right answer.

I'm pretty sure the best solution for this problem would be a reinstall unfortunately. When a file is corrupt, you can't really do nothing about it other than reinstalling to refresh the official files and put them back to the right directory. When editting, moving or removing files, this kind of thing will most likely happen if it hasn't been done right. It might be possible that there is a bugged file, which would be an option if you removed, replaced or editted files many times. Remember to always keep the setup of your games/mods at all time so when this kind of problem occurs, you dont have to redownload everything. If I was you, I would reinstall, it would probly save you more time than if you actually look for the right answer.

I was afraid of this. Oh well, maybe it's for the best... I'm reinstalling now... :(

Using the built in reinstall will usually not fix this type of problem as it does not remove any mods, any saves or any thing except the exact files put on by the original install. It also leaves behind some entries in the Windows registry that can cause problems.

Instead of a full reinstall try this.

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=340

If you still think you need a full reinstall

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

something like that happened to me....i looked and the answer is quite simple...go to start-search and look for...mpeg2.avi if i remember correctly...something like that...and rename it.the new name should be mpeg2.avi.old...and problem solved.if the problem persist reinstall.sorry