Memory ussage

PZcolo

Hi, I'm running Oblivion in a Win7 64b desktop with 4gb ram, since Oblivion only used 2gb, I tried the memory boost (CFF) option and alternatively (on other install) the 4gb patch. The thing is that even so Oblivion uses only 2gb of ram, or more precisely, it runs as if the PC had 2gb, since the system uses about 500mb of ram, it's running with 1.5gb or so.

Any idea why it's not making use of the extra ram?

I installed Oblivion 3 times overall, if I'm don't remember incorrectly, the 1º time I used the boost ram it worked (according to the resource monitor total memory usage was over 3gb).

Thanks.

Open your task manager and go to processes. Click memory and it will show at the top what is using the most memory. You can also hit the performance tab and see how much is being used. Then ya can deal with the offending program.

Actually I just looked on mine, also Win 7 and I'm using 1.5 gigs just with firefox running.

Have a read here: Master Tutorial to Make Your Windows 7 Super Fast

Thx for the reply, the amount being used by Oblivion is 1.5gb or so, windows services and other essentials about 0.5gb, the thing is that sums 2gb, there are 2gb free that Oblivion is not using, even with the patch and boost I mentioned above which if I understood correctly, it should allow Oblivion to use up to 3.8gb (or was it total mem usage?). So my question is more orientated to the unused memory, rather than optimizing mem being used, it's using only half of it after all.

It just doesn't need it. I tried fast traveling, zipping around on mah dragon, everything and I never broke 2 gigs. Thats with Firefox, the taskmanager, antivirus etc running. I'm on pretty much the same setup as you. You'll run out of V-Mem first. (videocard memory). I have a gig on my card and its always maxing out on Oblivion. Are you having a glitch or something or just worried it won't use more if it needs it?

Heres mine with all that crap runnin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/Valkyrie-Krazo/Dwm2010-08-0702-04-55-58.jpg

Did you apply the 4gb patch or boost ram? They are supposed to let the application use more than 2gb memory, so you could some of the free unused memory there.

As to why does it bother me, it's because I think it worked before and it made the loading a bit better, and I'm having some stuttering while loading new cells. I'm not expecting for the to disappear magically but it should help.

Did you apply the 4gb patch or boost ram? They are supposed to let the application use more than 2gb memory, so you could some of the free unused memory there.

As to why does it bother me, it's because I think it worked before and it made the loading a bit better, and I'm having some stuttering while loading new cells. I'm not expecting for the to disappear magically but it should help.

Hi, I'm having the same "problem". Running windows 7 64 bit and 4 gb of memory. Most of the time oblivion.exe uses quite a bit below 1,5 gb of memory.

I've tried raising the interior/exterior cell loading and the allocated memory in the ini file but doesnt really help.

Now I havent applied the 64 bit patches to the exe yet because I'm not even hitting the 32 bit roof.

It is a bit weird though. I'm using quarls texture pack 3, natural enviroments, windowlighting/chimney smoke mod and kvatch rebuild. Oblivion still uses very little memory.

Installing the RAEVWD?!? mod does slow my game down to 20 fps at times (unplayable) but it still doesnt use that much more memory. It's very rare for my oblivion to use even 1,5 gb of memory.

Any tips for getting oblivion to utilize some more of the available memory? Tweakguides.com cautions against tweaking the memory and load options in the ini file too high but that might only be applicable on 32 bit systems or those with less memory.

Thank you in advance.

PS. Actually windows does an ok job of swapping out unneeded programs to the harddrive if say. oblivion.exe needs more memory. Or maybe I'm just getting too old to fiddle with windows memory :D

PPS: If you alt-tab out of the game regulary (bad bad I know) I'd venture a guess and say that a non aero theme is better. Aero uses atleast twice as much video memory as non aero themes.