An original FO3 MOD idea, from a new guy with no talent.

BlazeOne

Hey guys.

Modding is not something i'm good at, or even capable of, in reality. I'm more of a creative thinker and the only thing i'm really good at on a computer is shooting/punching/stabbing things and typing. Every once in a while i have an idea, maybe even get enthusiastic about it before i realize i'm not really able to make it happen.

Modding IS something i get enthusiastic about, even though i lack competence in the field. The very IDEA that we as players can customize our game in so many ways excites the hell out of me and makes me wonder why EVERY game doesn't work like this and other mod-friendly games. From the first Max Payne mod i ever played, KATANA, to Deus Ex total conversions, to Oblivion pet shops and Fallout battle arenas, user-made content just has more... spark!

The idea is really quite simple, and though i could give all kinds of input right off the bat on the atmosphere and whatnot, the more creative details, it's not really necessary. I'm simply going to lay it out there and let YOUR mind toss it around, however you envision it in your imagination is fine by me.

Dogfights.

Radscorpions vs Yao Guai. A Deathclaw or two vs a super-sledge-wielding Super Mutant. Super Mutant vs Super Mutant, if it can be done!

The Wasteland Pitfights. All manner of wasteland creatures fighting to the death for your viewing and betting pleasure. Can it be done? Does this appeal to anyone besides me?

Open for discussion, or you can PM me if you really feel like it.

I think THAT'S the one that's been done enough. If you ask me, though, we ALWAYS need more "arena" type mods... And i was thinking before i posted, this could kind of go for Fallout OR Oblivion, but that's neither here nor there.

What i'm talkin' about, though, is an arena with fights worth spectating, i guess it's only natural that you'd be able to compete as well if you wanted... or what if there was a way to send dogmeat in there..... or fawkes o.o

Thanks for saying it's a good idea, man, but if this isn't original, please point me towards the mod that adds this. And don't say Ragnarok. I've got that, and fighting and spectating is a blast, but.... Think about it, animals and wasteland creatures, usually in small groups and in a much smaller "pit", so that you can be looking down and be close to the action. You wouldn't even need those blue shield things because there's no guns in there, and even if you competed, screw it, you SHOULD be able to shoot the spectators if you REALLY want to.

Sorry, i'm not trying to outline this thing myself (unless someone wanted me to) i'm just expanding on the concept and why it's original. Does this appeal to anyone?

I MAY post this into the Oblivion area; it would work in both areas, i just thought it fits with the "darker" side of fallout better. Other than the arena in one of the Kvatch mods, there's not much in the way of "dogfighting/beastfighting" in Oblivion either.

I know i'm *technically* new to the nexus, but i know how to look. Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i've seen in the past 4 years with Oblivion and 2 with Fallout, it doesn't exist.

Yet! *hopes for the enthusiastic attention of a skilled modder*

I think THAT'S the one that's been done enough. If you ask me, though, we ALWAYS need more "arena" type mods... And i was thinking before i posted, this could kind of go for Fallout OR Oblivion, but that's neither here nor there.

What i'm talkin' about, though, is an arena with fights worth spectating, i guess it's only natural that you'd be able to compete as well if you wanted... or what if there was a way to send dogmeat in there..... or fawkes o.o

Thanks for saying it's a good idea, man, but if this isn't original, please point me towards the mod that adds this. And don't say Ragnarok. I've got that, and fighting and spectating is a blast, but.... Think about it, animals and wasteland creatures, usually in small groups and in a much smaller "pit", so that you can be looking down and be close to the action. You wouldn't even need those blue shield things because there's no guns in there, and even if you competed, screw it, you SHOULD be able to shoot the spectators if you REALLY want to.

Sorry, i'm not trying to outline this thing myself (unless someone wanted me to) i'm just expanding on the concept and why it's original. Does this appeal to anyone?

I MAY post this into the Oblivion area; it would work in both areas, i just thought it fits with the "darker" side of fallout better. Other than the arena in one of the Kvatch mods, there's not much in the way of "dogfighting/beastfighting" in Oblivion either.

I know i'm *technically* new to the nexus, but i know how to look. Correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i've seen in the past 4 years with Oblivion and 2 with Fallout, it doesn't exist.

I could see how this would work. You would need three factions. Team A, Team B, and Spectators. Team A and B would be set to ENRAGED at each-other, but set to IGNORE you and your fellow spectators. The teams could be random, or selected via a terminal. Say, Deathclaw Team (2 Deathclaws) vs. Mirelurk Team (1 Mirelurk, 1 Mirelurk Hunter, 1 King).You could bet on a team (but with a daily limit of 200 caps or so, to avoid being exploitable.) in random mode. When the match is over, you can leave, get on the terminal, and set-up a new match. What do you think?

I could see how this would work. You would need three factions. Team A, Team B, and Spectators. Team A and B would be set to ENRAGED at each-other, but set to IGNORE you and your fellow spectators. The teams could be random, or selected via a terminal. Say, Deathclaw Team (2 Deathclaws) vs. Mirelurk Team (1 Mirelurk, 1 Mirelurk Hunter, 1 King).You could bet on a team (but with a daily limit of 200 caps or so, to avoid being exploitable.) in random mode. When the match is over, you can leave, get on the terminal, and set-up a new match. What do you think?

I think HELL YEAH, useful input! Like i said i'm really incapable but i know enough to get what you're saying.

Other than creative input i can offer up some dialogue text writing if anyone wanted. Or whatever. Anything needed that can just be typed and sent over, I can do it.

Thinking about the inner workings, I think it'd be pretty sweet if there were 2 leagues, a "big" league and a "little" league, so to speak, and a handful (say, half-dozen or so each) pre-set groups of combatants that are chose randomly when you choose a league and place a bet, or choose to just spectate a fight. I'm with you on the betting limit part, considering the balance that's built into the game's currency system; it's part of the "post-apocalyptic" thing. Easy ways to get rich cheapen the whole experience. IMHO. But you should be able to spectate as many random fights as you want in a day.... or night? What if it was a like, 8pm - 8am kind of thing? Could add to the atmosphere, there XD

So say you choose League 1 - "Big" League or League 2 - "Little" League, bet or spectate, and get to the pit. Depending on the league, you'd watch deathclaws and yao guais and super mutants, or you'd watch dogs, molerats, ghouls... maybe a centaur XD

Even better, a THIRD league... The "co-ed" league, rofl

a handful of ghouls vs a super mutant, a dog pack vs a yao guai.... molerats vs a giant radscorpion!

MAN i would have so much fun with this. I'd bet on the lonely big guy in the mixed league every time. I always root for the underdog.

Say you were just told to chose team A or team B for the first two leagues, without knowing the combatants. Similar to the vanilla Oblivion arena. But i say for the mixed, you should get to know, Big team or Little team. Know what i mean? Wouldn't really matter in the other leagues.

Anyways, now i'm just talkin'. Any tips on getting a team together or something like that for this mod? I REALLY wanna see this poo happen XD

I'm liking the idea, well thought out and easily do-able.

I'm useless at creating models and editing landscapes/cells, but I'd be happy to help out on the scripting side of things. (Don't have a lot of time though but most of the scripting would be small segments of code, so should be easy to pass around between people before compiling at the end).

The way I'm seeing it come together: (Ignoring PC as a combatant at the moment, could be easily added in later, bloodworks style)

From the world cell containing it, you enter the door into the arena, oblivion style, but without the betting prerequisite. Inside the arena there are the spectator npcs and in the arena is a permanent fight, ie, 2+ ghosted characters beating on each other: It's just for show, so there's action before the player places a bet.

Inside the arena there would be 2 doorways: 1 leading back outside, the other leading to a counter/bank vault where bets are placed. (Inside the vault room:) The player can look at a "schedule" of fights on a terminal, and possibly place a bet using the terminal, or maybe talking to an npc. Once the player activates the door to head back out to the arena (if a bet has been placed) the perma-fight is removed (disable) and the scripting to start up the chosen fight begins. The player can be given a note "A bet for x caps on Team A/B" or something like that for immersion's sake.

After the fight has ended the player can go back into the vault and collect their winnings from an npc (terminal makes sense as well; Feed in a winning bet ticket -> get caps, we're playing with computers after all, and removes the problem of voice acting) and place another bet if allowed. On exit (vault or arena, assuming no bet has been placed), the perma fight is started up again.

Imagine a set of bars and a counter with the betting terminal next to it, Citadel armory style, and behind that is a modified vault-tec vault door, which a paroling npc can open and close and he wanders back and forth storing their takings amd retrieving better's winnings.

From my experience, the biggest section of the mod to get done is the design of the arena (and possibly the bank cell described previously). The style and size would depend heavily on where it is located/audience wanted. ie, a pit styled arena in paradise falls? (Excludes good characters). The "good" side of town is going to be sick of fighting, given the context I don't see how they would be a fan of an arena, so an evil/gang owned operation targeted at raiders/slavers seems to fit better.

Setting leagues, teams etc is just a trivial scripting problem so that's easy to add in at later stages. As soon as the location and world references are in place, the mod is most of the way there. Changing the "perma-fight" to a cyclic list of non-permanent fights is easily do-able too. I'm just thinking of how to get a semi-finished product out the quickest: There's an unlimited number of options which can be added later if given the time.

At any rate, the idea is certainly there and do-able, just need the people now.

EDIT: I apologize if there are a few stray <br> or dodgy characters, for some reason editing a post kills off all formatting and some characters.

<br>

Ha, yeah, i like the little bet reciept idea, immersion is huge ^^

What i'm getting there, though, is that we need someone to design the arena itself first. In my mind, it could be pretty much anywhere... Somewhere near paradise falls would be cool... for some reason the first thing that comes to mind for me is placing it on the northern edge of the map, maybe in the area you would be passing through to head to the Pitt. Having a sort of "slaver" affiliation with the whole thing makes sense to me; maybe even a modified slaver faction called the "Beast-" somethin'. Beastmasters sounds kinda cliche but it works, right? It could be run by a group of raider-types who keep a hefty flow of creatures comin' in.

I'm about to go off again. Basically I'm hoping now to catch the eye of someone who can design the cells and place 'em in the world somewhere. Something simpler, like The Brawl Room (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13868), just a bar-type atmosphere with the fighting taking place in a big-ass basement or something would be fine, anything really. If you were someone who was going to take the time to create it i'd trust you with it.

Maybe I'll make a thread about that specifically if the need arises... If this idea generates any excitement, we'll give it a good, strong name and get a team together for it.

Basically i'll end up the least-talented member in terms of modding, but i'll keep it together for us. I know how to manage. If this ever gets rolling, i'm kinda gonna consider myself the father, so i'll be doing a lot to take care of everything from a more... PR standpoint if you know what i mean XD i'll write dialogue and readme's, handle discussions and whatnot, eventually getting screenshots up and stuff like that too.

Like i said way back at the start, feel free to post here and talk about it, or if you've got some serious stuff to talk about here drop me a PM

Skev, if i can get the ball rolling I'll be in touch ^^ once we've got the groundwork we'll figure out exactly how we want to script it and git-r-done, brother.

Ok, maybe I was thinking more like a full-blown arena than a fight-club-esque pub. The scripting/AI which governs the two would be almost identical though. Guess that just leaves room for someone to come along and create/modify a few cells. As far as modifying existing cells: The Chryslus Bar and Grill

Yes it's a strip club, but the building interior in the mod could easily be re purposed with the stage becoming a sorta boxing ring/cage.

Blaze, just before you get your hopes up too high, when I say I don't have a lot of time, more often than not I'm still over-estimating how much time I have. At any rate I should be-able to help nut out the general logic so it's just a simple write up for someone else.

Ok, maybe I was thinking more like a full-blown arena than a fight-club-esque pub. The scripting/AI which governs the two would be almost identical though. Guess that just leaves room for someone to come along and create/modify a few cells. As far as modifying existing cells: The Chryslus Bar and Grill

Yes it's a strip club, but the building interior in the mod could easily be re purposed with the stage becoming a sorta boxing ring/cage.

Blaze, just before you get your hopes up too high, when I say I don't have a lot of time, more often than not I'm still over-estimating how much time I have. At any rate I should be-able to help nut out the general logic so it's just a simple write up for someone else.

Not bad, but I was thinking something like an old abandoned factory ala the nuka-cola one. There would be a entry hall, containing spoils of old fights (Mounted heads, stuffed corpses, etcetera) which led to the bar (Old office room, re-purposed) The Arena (The re-purposed garage), and the second story, which contains the living quarter, and the office for whoever runs it.

I think both of those ideas are great... They'd both fit in with the feel of the thing. We'd have to track down Kendo for permission to use his bar's cells but it'd practically be done already if we did that.

Maybe i'll drop him a line to see what he says, but like i said before, if anyone were to step in and say they'd design the place, i'd pretty much let them handle it without questioning it.

And to be honest, Skev, i'm TOTALLY overestimating the time I have to put into this thing too. Not to mention the STABILITY... My life is... crazy, to say the least, so if this were ever moving forward i'd have to make sure and keep things accessible to everyone so that if i up and disappear it could be finished without my management.

I sound like i'm thinking "if and when" a lot, but don't worry, my hopes are very realistic. It COULD happen, easily, but considering i'm the passionate one and I can't mod, eh, odds are it wont.

But that don't mean i ain't gonna try :)

thanks for the steady input, guys