Dialogue Is Confusing.

Devedev

I've been making my mod, custom NPC's and all that. I've got some dialogue for them, but I've run into some problems. Such as; rather than returning to the previous menu in a speech tree upon entering a branch (That is, "I need some more info then ABC & D Where D is the "Let's talk about something else" which should return me to the previous dialogue) It simply kicks me back to the initial dialogue of the entire tree? It's confusing as heck. Also, I've got one merchant set up, he's basic just "Show me the menu" and it shows the barter menu, BUT what the problem is is that when i attempted to add a doctor for sales of medical supplies, not only did he not have the items in his linked container, but EVERY other speech messed up by adding his "I need some medical supplies" string! Note, I did make a completely separate quest and made sure the "GetIsID" was set to his. So I'm utterly baffled. Please help!

If you have nested dialogue trees, then you need to use the choices box to link to secondary levels and not leave it blank. Blank choices will get you back to all the "top-level" topics and not the secondary topics. In your example "D" needs to be linked to all of the secondary topics just like the initial topic that led the player to that level of the tree.

As for your merchant container, you must have not linked it properly. And the condition on your Doctor's topic must also be messed up somehow. I'd have to look at the mod to be sure at this point, but its possible that you used != instead of == for that condition?

If you send me a PM with a link to the mod, I can take a look for you. Also, there is a link to my dialogue tutorial in my sig below.

I've found it necessary to graph out dialogue trees into flow charts of dialogue choices in order to assure smoothly operating dialogue. MS Excel is helpful for that.

When my dialogue has errors it always seems to come down to errors in planning and structure.