Adding script to object

Valkyrie

I'm obviously missing something here....

I can add an object to my cell, edit the base and add the script I want. But when I reopen the cell or try it in game the script is gone. I'm opening the editor with OBSE running, I've tried changing base ID names etc. What am I doing wrong?

Only thing I can think of is a while back when I tried to place some CM NPCs into a mod-generated interior cell which screwed it up. If you're opening two mods at once and moving an item created in Mod A (let's say a new sword) into a cell created by Mod B, the sword, chances are, won't show up (or so has been my experience) in the cell when you load the game.

Here's what I'd recommend:

•  
  • Make sure you've only got the mod you're working with open, plus any master files other than Oblivion.esm that it needs to run (to make it easier to see what's going o in your mod and not others).
  • If you're trying to attach a script to an object from another mod for use in yours, go ahead and open the other one too but set yours as the active (very important step here).
  • Now for your script: make sure, with your mod as the active file, you save it. Double-check to make sure it saved right.
  • If you're using an item from another mod, check the location of its mesh file (.nif extension); use that to create a new item of identical properties within your mod.
  • If you're trying to use an item from a .esm file, try making a duplicate of it (right click, edit, change the ID, and say Yes to the create new form box) first.
  • Then, whichever way you did it, re-attach the script.

I can't say any more than that; I dunno if you've already tried this (sorry if so), but that's just a basic troubleshooter from my own experience that can be easy to miss.

In addition to Bananna125's excellent suggestions, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that matches your symptoms would require that you be

1. working on a Windows 7/Vista box

2. with Oblivion (and TESCS) installed under Program Files (x86)

3. and UAC enabled.

With this combination of circumstances you could be running afoul of the UAC-Redirection "feature" which winds up causing you to modify a file that is not actually in you Oblivion\Data directory even though that is what you intend and what TESCS thinks that it is doing...

If you have this, you need to deal with or avoid UAC intervention either by reinstalling Oblivion elsewhere (such as c:\games\oblivion) or by turning off UAC security (seriously NOT recommended).