Generating a new worldspace for a total conversion?

erehwonnz

Hi all,

I'm working on a personal project using Skyrim's engine. The idea is to create a new worldspace (linked worldspaces, I expect) with a separate identity from Skyrim--that is, not set in Skyrim's universe. I've found many good tutorials out there for most of the modding process, and I feel comfortable modeling and texturing landscapes, scripting quests, painting and generated heightmaps (though I'm trying to sort out some glitchiness--tears and such), and so on--but what I don't quite grasp and what I can't find any information on is setting up a worldspace not linked to Skyrim. I understand that a clean master and version control are involved, but figuring out how one goes about setting a new worldspace as a default space into which a character loads at the start of the game isn't something I seem to be able to find anywhere.

It's very possible that I just don't have the language in my brain to describe this, being a relative novice, and thus cannot find the relevant material, so any help would be appreciated. This project is personal in that it's meant to realize a gamespace my father has thought about for a very long time, and it means something with me to at least have a go at fulfilling that. A gift, if you will.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by erehwonnz

Hi erehwonnz,

------------------------------------

To make a new worldspace:

LANDSCAPE AND HEIGHTMAP

If you want to make a big world, then follow this link.

But if you start with a moderate size one, then just use Creation Kit: World->World Spaces->New.

Two great video tutorials:

a) Heightmap

b) Landscape

You can then place objects from the Object Window to make your world nice.

LOD:

You can use Oscape to generate LOD for your world.

There is a guide here.

Or there is long a video, what explains how to make lod for anything.

You can have multiple worldspaces, that's not problem. Actually there are multiple worldspaces in the game (Example: Japhet's Folly).

I cannot point you out how to make a new start, but I heard some mods what gives you alternate starts. I fear that you have to do something with the main questline though.

Gilron

P.S: You should make Navmesh too.

EDIT: I know it's not complete, sorry. But basically this is what you need for a new worldspace.

Edited by Gilron

Thanks for your reply. I'd visited the Hoddminir page but hadn't seen the videos. Thank you. Seeing the process is mightly helpful.

I'll have to do a bit more investigating about the alternate worldspace start--this gives me something to focus on, though! Thanks! :)