Overwhelmed With all the mods

jcBIOHAZARD

I have Oblivion for the xbox 360, In fact i got it the day it came out and lets all be honest, its amazing! Now a couple years down the line(today to be exact) i picked up Oblivion GOTY off of Direct2Drive.com for my pc and i'm looking for mods to get that will enhance the game beyond my dreams, I'm talking no more asking my self if that's a male or female character(what mods make the character models Ive seen in the pictures posted here make them look that damn good and sexy!Lolz), having the textures and what not blowing my mind, as well as many other tweaks like better animations. But anyways to get back on topic, i joined this community seeing all the positive feedback it has and well, I AM OVERWHELMED! there are so many mods its crazy, and some mods need other mods to work and holy s*** i am lost. So please if anyone can help me out and either break in the basic mods i need or compile a list of mods that will blow my mind, i will be very grateful! And if it helps, i have not downloaded any patches yet or anything. all Ive done is downloaded the game and install it( oblivion, shivering isles,knights of the nine) and came here where my head exploded. So please help me out! Thanks!

Welcome to the forums! :)

yes, there's quite a lot of mods out there, and it can be hard to find the mods you want.

Some mods that really makes Oblivion a totally new experience: (For the better of course)

Unofficial Oblivion Patch

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul

The Unique Landscapes

Natural Environments

Bananasplit Better Cities

Reneer's Guard Overhaul

The Lost Spires

Kvatch Rebuilt

There's A LOT of other mods you should try as well, but these were the one's I could think of right now.

pst.. also try Delivery Job & Creature Diversity ;)

Thank you much, i will try them all! Can i ask you though, well looking at some of the posting here it seems that i need to download a mod manager or something, do i need this to use mods or what? (complete mod noob here sorry)

Oh yes, another question i have is if i should download the official patches for oblivion? I plan to play this game though using lots of mods, so if the official patches kill any amazing mods i wont bother unless they are necessary

You don't HAVE to, but it is recommended.

For people new to mods, it should be sufficient with just the Oblivion Mod Manager, but when you have become more experienced with mods, I recommend to also use Wrye Bash.

It is also recommended to use the latest official Patch, if not even required. But I think the GOTY Version from Direct2Drive includes the latest version though.

Thanks much zaldiir! you've been extremely helpful and i cant wait to play me some oblivion with these enhancements!

There may be a problem. It seems that D2D added some extra 'protection' in their version that blocks some very popular mods, as well as the one utility that makes many more advanced mods possible.

Quote from the OBSE WIKI

OBSE does not work with:

• Oblivion 1.2.0.214 This was the official downloadable 1.2 patch. (as of v0017)
  • Oblivion 1.2.0.410: the Shivering Isles beta patch.
  • Oblivion 1.2.0.201: the Shivering Isles DVD build.
  • Oblivion 1.1.0.511 This was the original Oblivion that OBSE supported. (as of v0017)
  • Oblivion 1.0: the original DVD build of Oblivion.
  • The Direct2Drive version of Oblivion or Shivering Isles. The Oblivion.exe provided by D2D is encrypted, and we cannot patch it without breaking the encryption. We will not do this, as it is illegal.

So when OBSE and those mods requiring OBSE don't work, you can blame it on D2D paranoia.

OBSE does work with the Steam downloaded version

Well, as long as you don't use any OBSE Mods, you should be fine - although mods using OBSE have some extra functionality. :/

I know of only one way to get past D2D's paranoia, but the admins is not so very fond of those things, so... well... :/