The Lost Textures

Amoramor

Hi all, I have a problem.

I was playing Oblivion, and I ran into an ogre, which was pitch black. Later I fought a slaughterfish, which also was solid black.

I closed Oblivion and opened the Data\Textures folder to see what was going on, and I saw that half of the textures in the 'creatures' folder were gone!

Only these folders were left:

-bear

-boar

-calf

-chicken

-dog

-Fish

-imp

-mountain lion

-Zombie

How do I get them back? I tried reinstalling, with no luck.

I can think of two main possibilities.

(1) You have a replacer mod with no esp which modifies creature textures. Solution: Go rename to disable your creatures folder so the computer can't find it. Name it "Xcreatures" or something. This will make it so the game reverts to vanilla Oblivion in this aspect, and your creatures should be perfectly normal.

(2) You have a replacer mod with an .esp. To remove this mod, you will have to find it. Hopefully the documentation of the mods will tell you if any of them edit creatures. Otherwise you can do process of elimination testing to isolate the bad mod. Test over and over with various groups of mods deactivated until the problem goes away. When you find the bad mod, you will need to remove both the .esp and the textures. It could be difficult to find the bad mod. You might end up with false negatives. In certain scenarios, removing bad files could still leave the mod broken-looking in certain aspects, and a play-test would not reveal that you had partially fixed the problem.

Hint: unless you are a modder who has unpacked the BSA for modding purposes, there won't even be a "creatures" folder and there certainly won't be any files in it. The files you see in your folder are from mods that have changed your game. A creature that does not appear on this list will be okay. The creatures on the list will likely be some of the the black messed-up ones.

Another hint: Chickens and Calves don't exist in vanilla Oblivion. Go to the mod that adds them and see if it is at fault.

It's also possible that it's neither of those, though I can provide no fix. I sometimes have the same problem, where various instances of different creatures will appear black, and sometimes, within the same game-session, others are fine. Often, if you use kill and then resurrect console commands, it'll fix it. Sometimes it fixes itself. Sorry I can provide no other solution, just wanted to let you know that it could be something else, unfortunately.