Dragon Age 3.

edgedy

DA2 had no mod support from bioware or tool kit and we at least got some basic gameplay mods and companion mods to change look of them etc..

Question is if anyone here is actually a modder is frostbite hard to mod with?

I think people will mod it unless its really that hard to use and do.

The tool from DA:O also worked on DA2 iirc.

When you start talking about modding without an official tool, you start talking about some dependencies which need to exist.

1). Ability to see/change how resources (textures/meshes) are used by the game. In cases where you can only see where things are linked, there needs to be some existing or created way to designate an override folder or archive. Once achieved, this will allow texture/mesh mods or other direct resource changes.

2). Ability to decode item tables or internal forms used by a game, then either edit them or link in new ones. Once achieved, it will allow changing of container contents, shop inventories, or values on other forms that it is successful on.

3). Ability to decode game information related to where items are placed within an environment, then being able to edit or add additional information reliably. Once achieved, will allow a crude means of adding objects and encounters to the world.

4.) Ability to decode game scripting and dialogues, and being able to edit and/or add in new lines in a reliable manner. Would allow minor changes and fixes to be made to the game's internals.

Unofficial tools can make some of this easier, but won't necessarily allow for fully polished mods.

DA2 had no mod support from bioware or tool kit and we at least got some basic gameplay mods and companion mods to change look of them etc..

Question is if anyone here is actually a modder is frostbite hard to mod with?

I think people will mod it unless its really that hard to use and do.

The tool from DA:O also worked on DA2 iirc.

When you start talking about modding without an official tool, you start talking about some dependencies which need to exist.

1). Ability to see/change how resources (textures/meshes) are used by the game. In cases where you can only see where things are linked, there needs to be some existing or created way to designate an override folder or archive. Once achieved, this will allow texture/mesh mods or other direct resource changes.

2). Ability to decode item tables or internal forms used by a game, then either edit them or link in new ones. Once achieved, it will allow changing of container contents, shop inventories, or values on other forms that it is successful on.

3). Ability to decode game information related to where items are placed within an environment, then being able to edit or add additional information reliably. Once achieved, will allow a crude means of adding objects and encounters to the world.

4.) Ability to decode game scripting and dialogues, and being able to edit and/or add in new lines in a reliable manner. Would allow minor changes and fixes to be made to the game's internals.

Unofficial tools can make some of this easier, but won't necessarily allow for fully polished mods.

Well the mass effect games have been modded and they use Unreal and had no support.

There is even a mod that changes the eneding.

90% of the mods are texture's just changing characters though.

I guess we will have to see i think i could see and hope for few basic mods.

Im hoping we get a mod with more hair's to choose from.

Edited by cooperb21

There has been some sort of speculation going around that the type of encryption this game uses causes it to do an extreme amount of writes on your HDD/SSD, and that the game is very hard on SSDs which have a limited amount of writes. Has anyone confirmed 100% one way or another about this?

There has been some sort of speculation going around that the type of encryption this game uses causes it to do an extreme amount of writes on your HDD/SSD, and that the game is very hard on SSDs which have a limited amount of writes. Has anyone confirmed 100% one way or another about this?

That is what I heard. Either the encryption or the DRM method used by the game. From what I've seen, it looks like certain parts of the game have some measure of randomness in their generation, which could be a problem if this information is being re-written to game files instead of just RAM/Save data.

Probably best to keep games like this off a SSD anyway, just because many of these games are fequently patched, modded, uninstalled/reinstalled, or just makes use of frequent auto-saving.

Well the mass effect games have been modded and they use Unreal and had no support.

Yes... The Unreal Engine has a toolkit available to facilitate this sort of thing. Having file formats which are similar to previous games, or having the game's files be in a format that an existing too can understand makes things easier.

Actually I'd love something that, in theory, sounds simple; showing resources on the mini-map. I hate having to chase down elfroot and obsidian and would be awesome if someone made a mod to make it easier to find. Maybe more glowy or something...anything.

Gods, I still can't stand the fact that a DA warrior can't duel wield or use a fecking bow. It's not like a WARRIOR has the learned ability to replace his shield with another one handed weapon or draw back the string of a bow, my niece is 5 and she's a hell of an archer. DA2 had a little walk through to change the skill trees and semi sort of fix that idiotic restriction. Being able to play an actual rogue or warrior, as per a traditional fantasy role playing perspective made the game a lot more fun. I blame MMORPG garbage for all of these changes in the way RPG's are created now, but that's probably just me, because... WOW. Also, even though you'll never actually see this, EA/Bioware (whom I do happen to own a lot of your games; past, present, and very likely future) money isn't an issue and to say it is, is utter pig shite, request permission from D.I.C.E, cut them a damn check, and release a basic toolset. We are still going to buy your damn DLCs, well the ones that weren't included in our pre-orders of the damn game. Expand the World of Dragon Age, not restrict it to a MMORPG build, that method nearly crippled Wizards of the Coast with everything Dungeons and Dragons when they used it for their pathetic 4.0 and the newly released and equally pathetic 5.0 updates.

That is what I heard. Either the encryption or the DRM method used by the game. From what I've seen, it looks like certain parts of the game have some measure of randomness in their generation, which could be a problem if this information is being re-written to game files instead of just RAM/Save data.

Probably best to keep games like this off a SSD anyway, just because many of these games are fequently patched, modded, uninstalled/reinstalled, or just makes use of frequent auto-saving.

Well, the pros are that nobody is gonna be pirating Dragon Age: Inquisition any time soon. I'd still prefer they figure out a way to do that without negatively impacting PC hardware.

Well, the pros are that nobody is gonna be pirating Dragon Age: Inquisition any time soon. I'd still prefer they figure out a way to do that without negatively impacting PC hardware.

I give it about another 2 weeks before we see pirated versions, and certainly before Christmas. Groups have a tendency to flock to the challenge of "uncrackable" games, so it probably won't be that long, despite whatever efforts. Like all DRM, it only buys a small amount of time.

As for DRM that negatively impacts users... This is EA we're talking about. Kinda par for the course here.

EA has purposefully made The Sims 4 very mod friendly and as one of their biggest selling franchises (even though the release was somewhat disappointing to so many) didn't seem to fear mods from stopping people from spending money for DLC and/or expansions they may (probably will as the game needs something more than what it has) release. Why couldn't they simply make that a thing with this and put me (a user of fine mods by other people) out of my misery?

Why? I would love a mod that slowed down the greebly spawn cycle just a touch. As an example, while the missus was telling me something, I had my character remain in one spot killing rams as I listened to my wife without missing something in the game - by the time I killed the last ram in the field, a fresh one spawned right in front of me! I killed it and another spawned, and another, and another!

I also found at my current level I would take more time to kill a bear which in one area appeared in pairs. By the time I killed both a new one would spawn and wander by and so on. If I managed to sneak past I would run into more tough greeblies and fight an endless cycle... and if I got fed up with it (because of the constant combat I couldn't save) and tried to pull back to camp so I could go to bed in real life and needed to save, I would be caught between two such groups - was easier to let them kill me so I could get some sleep that night!!!!!

Others may not agree, but now I have played a tad more, I am finding it somewhat repetitive which is starting to be less challenging and = boring... <Sigh>