Constant CTD

naomis8329

After three weeks of testing mods for compatibility and character generation issues I've recently started playing again. Re-installed the game, DLCs, Toolset and Character Creator as instructed and then patched upto v1.04 (also installed in the override patch folder the v1.03 script which is supposed to resolve issues created by v1.04). Since doing this and loading the mods one by one and testing I've begun to have the most annoying problem of CDTs whenever I'm about to go into combat (Doing the Sacred Urn Quest). This is now driving me mad as I'm F5-ing constantly taking approximately 10 steps and low and behold CDT.

Has anyone got any ideas as I'm now being driven hairless. All I want to do is play.....

Some further information--- happens predominantly when I "run". Now walking everywhere but its a pest when character starts running unexpectedly and bang down I go.....

Sorry you're having the CtD problems. :sad:

Mine started immediately with 1.03, and have continued (though with some improvement) under 1.04. The following is the ONLY thing (and I've tried most of the suggestions out there) that has helped me. In my case it REALLY helped!

(This post of mine is from the "Some MASSIVE Bugs with 1.03" thread here on Nexus under "DA - General Discussions")

=======================================

[Another update after extensive experimentation.]

For those with the constant Crash-to-Desktop issue on the PC version of DA:O after patching to 1.03 (as required by/included with DA:A)

The fix found at: " http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/1633999/31#2037048 " (which was written for a similar bug with Fallout3) really does seem to work in preventing almost all of the CtD I was experiencing. Some others who also have >4GB 64-bit systems report equal success.

This fix modifies the "daorigins.exe" file header to correctly code for large physical memory space.

It does NOT help with any other faults 1.03 introduced, (broken pickpocketing, etc.) but DOES make the game playable again!

You have to edit the "start.bat" file contained in the fix by replacing "fallout3.exe" with "daorigins.exe" before your run it against "daorgins.exe", which is in your "\Program Files (x86)\bin_ship" folder.

DISCLAIMERS: As always, YMMV, and make a backup of the original "daorigins.exe" and your saves/chars folder before making any changes! (32-bit sytems may or may not be helped, and I believe there is another change needed to an ".ini" file. Read the notes.)

See postings by "akanounnikoff" under the topic: "Bugs with 1.03 patch..." at the Bioware forums for more detailed info about why it works. (Also see additional posts about the false positive Kaspersky anti-malware reports. I'm guessing code that modifies ".exe's" gets an automatic flag in their evals.)

=======================================

Hope this works for you! :thumbsup:

Thanks Thandal, will give it ago. Your advice has been invaluable so far with other problems I've had. Your time is appreciated.

Will let you know how I get on.

Naomi

Followed your instructions and installed. Seems to be working okay so far. Some lagging and slowing which I'm surprised at but that's nothing compared to what was happening. Once again thank you for your help and time and also for adding me as your friend on the site. It is appreciated.

If I have any further problems with CDT will get back to you.

Naomi

Hi, back again. Worked well thro Origins, went with same character straight into Awakening (am running the same character a few times to test different mod compatibilities and to see how they affect the game in general). Did the Taking of Vigils Keep, Amaranthine, Wending Woods, and two side quests with no problem, got to Blackmarsh in search of Kristoff and upon finding his body experienced the same problem as before. However I can now not get to the next stage (as the fade files are loading I CDT). File size is 23,014kb have no mods that "change" Awakening (except for some mor's and a couple of files that import equipment into the expansion including Innodils Pocket Plane, that was done via the ini file). My system is a mid range machine less than a year old with 4Gb of ram with a Nvidia 9600 graphics card with an extra 1Gb of dedicated ram. I've also got 50.8Gb free on the c: partition that the game documentation resides on so am at a loss as to the cause. As far as I can tell there is not an Awakening exe it runs straight off the Origins one, so unless my file size is the problem I'm at a loss as to the cause of this crash. Was going to try the Last of the Legion quest to see if this was the case coz if it isn't then there's definately a problem with the Blackmarsh quest which could mean a repair of the Awakening files.

Any ideas???

Thanks for your time hun

Naomi

Unlikely (although still possible) that it's a problem with the DA:A files themselves. Have you tried de-activating/un-installing ALL mods/non-integral DLC? There are known conflicts between some mods and Leliana's Song, for example, that spill over into the regular game(s). ( And "Pocket Plane" is also tied to some issues.) :confused:

Will do as I've tried the Legion Quest and same thing happens instant CDT upon entering any sort of battle/confrontation. Will disable mods and see what happens. If no joy will re-install DA:A. Hopefully its something small and silly and a minor conflict that can be resolved with little or no fuss. (As it's me however, computer's bound to blow up and the world come to an end :laugh: )

Let you know what happens

N

There was another user who had problems installing DA:A AFTER installing 1.04, and had it fail repeatedly. S/he had success after un-/re-installing, loading DA:A first, THEN 1.04.

I experienced something similar with "Skip the Fade". It didn't seem to work after I patched to 1.04 until I un-/re-installed it. Then it worked fine! :thumbsup:

Might be a similar conflict with some of your mods not behaving properly after 1.04...

Sorry not been back to you. Still mucking around with the mods. With children on Summer break not had much chance to do much as we've been uniform shopping (oh joy) which I'm still doing (2 in high school, 1 in primary going up next year).

Anyway will get back to you as soon as I have had a good luck. Will also follow your advice above and check the load orders and see if re-installing works.

Thanks for your time hun..