New RAM Issues

A few days ago, I ordered two new 2gb RAM for my laptop. They arrived just yesterday. So I installed them and everything, and I saw the difference mostly in performance. My laptop is now much faster. But when I wanted to play Fallout 3, the game would start up, but it would freeze up on the "Please Standby" slide. And the screen twitches up and down. But the sound keeps playing in the background, as if nothing were wrong. Now I thought it was because of some mod or something I installed, but when I unchecked every single one of my mods, and it still crashed, and I tried re-installing, but the problem kept re-appearing.

So then what I did is I put back the old RAMs I have, both are 1gb. And when I started Fallout 3, the game functioned perfectly. Now I know its the new RAM thats been conflicting with my laptop. Can anyone tell me what to do? Maybe I need to install the RAM differently? Please help.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi2

Fallout 3 can;t support more then 2gbs. There's a mod to fix that on the nexus.

Missing support >2 GB doesn't mean that it doesn't work at all, it works with the max. supported 2 GB (here plus 2 "useless" GB in slot 2) !

2x 2GB PC25300 NONECC UNBUFFERED 200PIN DDR2 SODIMM RAM modules in use?

Take your protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

The game will use the 2G, And the rest of the system can use the remaining amount.

One way to test the ram would be to put in just one of the 2G ram sticks and leave the other slot open and try running - it should boot up and run just as if you had the original ram. If it works, then remove that one and try the other one. Also try them in both slots. There are also some good ram test programs available. The one I have been using is no longer available as a free download. However, I found this one on MajorGeeks.com

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Prime95 - [2010-06-24 | Freeware | 991 KB | Win All | 192827 | 4.84 ] For overclockers, Prime95 has a feature called "Torture Test" that allows maximum stress testing on the CPU and RAM. There are several options allowing the stress test to focus on the memory, processor, or a balance of both.

Actually i have managed to get 4 gb's of ram to work, there is a ini tweak that you can use here, it worked for me.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_10.html

here if you don't want to click.

iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400 - This setting appears to determine the maximum amount (in bytes) of RAM allowed for preloading game data. Raising the value may reduce stuttering. The default value equates to around 25MB (divide the value of this variable by 1024 to get KB, then by 1024 again to get MB). For those with 1GB of system RAM, try doubling the variable to 52428800. For those with 2GB, try double again at 104857600 (100MB). You can raise these values even further to experiment, however note that raising this to a large amount doesn't force all the game data to sit in RAM, and can actually cause crashes. I suggest the maximum anyone should set this to should be around 262144000 (250MB), even for 4GB of RAM or more. Also make sure to raise your Cell Buffer values accordingly (see above) (Fallout.ini).

I increased the values using a calculator to make sure it was a stable setting.

Same tweak applies in Oblivion.

Also made the game run a lot smoother.