How to start modding

trekkie107

hey party people

iv been modding fallout 3 for a while now and id like to start making my own mods. I have a copy of the G.E.C.K. and FOMM but from there i have no idea where to begin. Can anyone help a new guy out? :)

I have a copy of the G.E.C.K. and FOMM but from there i have no idea where to begin. Can anyone help a new guy out? :)

Come up with an idea for a mod or look through the mod suggestions forum until you see an idea that inspires your creative juices. I also recommend that you get familiar with FO3Edit to keep your mod clean operationally.

I think the easiest type of mod is one that requires no new items. If you just use stuff from the original game or DLCs then you don't need to learn a bunch of programs on the side.

A house mod is often a good starting place. Lots of static objects to summon from the objects list and place around. It also can be useful to your character almost immediately as you build it. I don't recommend placing houses in the Wasteland though. It is a hostile place and can be frustrating to a new FO3 modder. Just a linking door perhaps.

My first mod for FO3 (that I never uploaded) involved turning a blank shell house in Springvale into a player used home with a bed and simple storage. I used it for my own character and practiced with the GECK by decorating it; adding a basement and then NPCs that eventually got AI packages and navmeshes and dialogue. I started simple and then embroidered as I went along. The process was good practice for later making a whole town.