I'd pay money to see this!

Primex

I don't think any ones done somthing this expansive, but it may already be done.

Someone with alot much time on his hands should sanbox the entire wasteland region and create hundreds of NPC's to roam and survive like the PC.

But i mean true surviving. When they need to sleep they will find the safest place around and sleep.When they need to eat they will eat. They need to keep their individual supplies up by hunting and trading, and they will manage their weapons and armor. They could travel in groups or alone, and they can be recruited as followers if wanted by the PC.

I think this would take alot of work and scripting knowledge, but it would be very worth it.

I have also heard of a mod called Wasteland Wanderers, but i don't think its the same.

This mod would be great if it were combined with somthing like RTS, but so the NPC's could intelegently create their own temporary/permanent settlements.

Even better would be if NPC's that travel were from different factions, and could go into combat against each other.

There obviously problems with the idea, but it could be tackeld by a veteran modder.

I seem to recall a random encounter where you meet a "lone wanderer" who looks vaguely like bael. You can chat a bit, and then either kill him or never see him again. Is this the kind of thing you are talking about?

You're talking about a scripted mugging guy, it's a unique random scripted one-time encounter. He wants bunch of NPC that spawn and act like scavangers, like the lone wanderer.

He wants the future!

Seriously though, that game would be so great. Every playthrough would be different! This ain't gonna happen for Fallout 3 though, maybe Fallout 30?

Wait, that mugger encounter, the one with the sawed off? He didn't come off to me as a Lone Wanderer. Not even a little.

Adding more random encounters would/could be a way to "fake" the feeling of his request though, as you don't really ever see everyone doing their survival bits all the time. An encounter of some fool sleeping somewhere would be cool. Steal from him or leave him be, that kind of stuff.