Heroes - Real life people

grannywils

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could list our heroes. These should be heroes who have preferably lived in our lifetime. If you absolutely feel you must list someone from the past, well then go ahead. But I'm more interested in real people from now. Please let's leave out current military and political types (in the headlines today) if we can, as I would rather keep this from becoming a debate thread. I'm more interested in who we all think of as heroic in our own lives. If it is your mom or dad, or a special school teacher, then so be it. Let' s try to keep it a friendly thread without too many negative comments on other people's choices. Some of us will probably have more than one, but let's try to limit it to no more than 10 per post. If you have hundreds, well then come back and list more in a later post. Oh, and if you think no one will recognize the name, it might be a good idea to give a brief description.

I'll start out with the following: (in no particular order)

1. Nelson Mandella

2. Mother Teresa

3. Desmond Tutu

4. Margaret Mead

5. Martin Luther King

6. Jimmy Carter (for work after his presidency)

7. Wangari Maathai (Nobel Peace Prize winner and environmentalist)

8. Jesus Christ (0,k so I've broken my rule) but he was a man who stood up to many and some say he still lives within us.)

I'll stop for now, because I have relized that I have way too many. I will have to come back later. I hope more of you will join this thread. I'm interested to hear who others find heroic.

My favorite: Mohatma Ghandi (freed a people with no use of violence at all)

You know Balagor, he was meant to be the first one on my list. I have no idea how I left him off. Thank you very much for adding him.

Maxine Dietrich - Executive High Priestess, JoS Ministres

Why her? >.>

To be honest, my real heroes are my mum and dad. They both put up with a lot from me and still manage to love and support me.

Anne Frank (1929 -1945), my eponym and patroness in the last days of my childhood in Israel and the first days in the Netherlands, the beautiful land of the windmills, full of tragic family memories of old - something that gave the little girl a good scare for a time and a half.

Oy vey iz mir

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif

You all make me so pleased that I started this thread. Many of you (Surenas, Ninja to name a couple) have mentioned names that I had on my list but was going to have to save for a later post because I had too many. It heartens me so much to know that these wonderful people are recognized as the heroes that they were and are. And that includes the moms and dads who have done so well with some of us.

On this post I want to add just one very important personal hero for me:

He is my son, Eric. He is a recovering alcoholic who has fought through some very difficult times and managed through it all to hold onto a job and keep himself in good enough shape to get himself back in shape. He has now been sober for 4 years. He has a wife and family whom he supports. He is the hardest most dedicated and vigilent worker I have ever known. I am honored and proud to know him.

My personal top ten heroes and why they are my heroes

1. Sir Peter Ustinov in RL better than in his movies..... Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF is only one example for this great man.

2. my first German teacher, who taught me that reading can be fun as well...

3. Helmut Schmidt who still gives a da**it about political correctness and smokes every where he likes even it is not allowed and nobody has the guts to tell him so and because he has still a very sharp political mind for his age.

4. Michel Foucault for and his literature in very advanced thinking! As per se developing the concept of Governmentality.

5. Louis Armstrong for using his great talent of music to unite people around the world.

6. Diana Spencer for using her popularity and support the International Campaign to Ban Land mines, as well as having some similarities with my birthday and in well, you may call it fate but it doesn't fit quite right.

7. Richard von Weizsäcker for speaking out the truth in about and against politics and parties while in office of President of Germany.

8. Birgit Rommelspacher for advanced sociology and having no qualms to fire here thoughts and critics at here own ranks.

9. Hans Herbert von Arnim for his work against political corruption in my country.

10. Steve McQueen for the coolness that I lack sometimes.

I know that everyone is picking famous people but one of my heroes was Lt. Fitz Hugh Leary he was critically injured over Hue while flying close ground support for a company of Marines that were pinned down by NVA regulars. Though he had extensive injuries from ground fire that were eventually fatal. He refused to leave the area because the next wing was 45 minutes away from eta and the marines couldn't wait that long. He saved over thirty lives that afternoon at the cost of his own. Fitz was only 24 and never saw his next birthday but a couple dozen marines owe him theirs due to his sacrifice. He is remembered only by his friends and a engraved line on a black wall.