Can't find .esp file.

Kantorock

Okay, so I just created one of my first mods, I and I want to share it with others. The problem is that I can't find the .esp file where I saved it to. What gives?

If you saved it in your default oblivion directory, and you have UAC on, that might give trouble. Solution: reinstall oblivion to user/documents/my games or turn of UAC

EDIT: TodaY, you beat my post by a matter of seconds...

All mods are found, and installed, in the Oblivion/Data directory.

Say that you installed it in Drive C:/. you would go to

C:/

Program Files

Bethesda Softworks

Oblivion

Data

So,

C:/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion/Dada/My mod.ESP

This is where you install and save all files.

In order to upload it to the Nexus you must put it in either a .Zip, .Rar, or the free, .7z (7Zip - Google it) file for compression. It's really as simple as dragging the file to the .zip file. It copies it, and it's ready for upload.

I suggest you make a ReadMe file (.txt) to explain everything about what your mod does and how. This is for people who might run into compatibility problems or questions about the mod but can't remember the page they downloaded it from (or because it's just convenient and Modder Decorum) and put that into the zip file too.

Do NOT name it ReadMe, but rather the name if the mod, then readme. This is because when people install your mod from the zip to their Data directory they will overwrite any other readme named readme. So, say the mod's name is

Awesome Naked Monkey Feet With A Wide Angle Lens

You'd name the readme, Awesome Naked Monkey Feet With A Wide Angle Lens ReadMe.txt

If this has helped feel free to Kudos me to show your appreciation, if you feel it not worth a Kudos or don't like my monkey humor, then still feel free to....

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

EDIT: TodaY, you beat my post by a matter of seconds...

All mods are found, and installed, in the Oblivion/Data directory.

Say that you installed it in Drive C:/. you would go to

C:/

Program Files

Bethesda Softworks

Oblivion

Data

So,

C:/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion/Dada/My mod.ESP

This is where you install and save all files.

In order to upload it to the Nexus you must put it in either a .Zip, .Rar, or the free, .7z (7Zip - Google it) file for compression. It's really as simple as dragging the file to the .zip file. It copies it, and it's ready for upload.

I suggest you make a ReadMe file (.txt) to explain everything about what your mod does and how. This is for people who might run into compatibility problems or questions about the mod but can't remember the page they downloaded it from (or because it's just convenient and Modder Decorum) and put that into the zip file too.

Do NOT name it ReadMe, but rather the name if the mod, then readme. This is because when people install your mod from the zip to their Data directory they will overwrite any other readme named readme. So, say the mod's name is

Awesome Naked Monkey Feet With A Wide Angle Lens

You'd name the readme, Awesome Naked Monkey Feet With A Wide Angle Lens ReadMe.txt

If this has helped feel free to Kudos me to show your appreciation, if you feel it not worth a Kudos or don't like my monkey humor, then still feel free to....

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

You misunderstand my problem Ranokoa. I cannot find my mod's .esp file period. It's acting like a hidden file, but when I go to switch on "see hidden files", the .esp still doesn't show.

I've found that my Oblivion saves my modfied ESP's in a different place than the unmodified; in the same folder as my screenshots, actually. Use your search engine to look for the mods title; if you have Vista (guessing you do) click search everywhere, advanced search, include nonindexed hidden snd system files.

You could create and save another mod which is a dummy file with no real work put into it. You could then see where it ends up. There is the possibility that your software is wrong and you cannot save any mod and that the mod you are looking for didn't get saved and is not on your machine anywhere. This test could help disprove that theory.

If you saved it in your default oblivion directory, and you have UAC on, that might give trouble. Solution: reinstall oblivion to user/documents/my games or turn of UAC

Thanks for the suggestion, but was it "UAC?"