Is there an Oblivion mod that enables me to edit NPC races & apper

JillandJack

The biggest problem with in-game changing of a character's race, is that EVERYTHING (including the skills, attributes, class, etc) will get RESET!!

If you are fiddling around with the console to change race, then do the exact steps explained here.

If you are okay with that resetting, you can try the Plastic Surgery mods. I think there was one more mod which claimed to allow to change face/class/birthsign/race without resetting the skills+stats, but I don't recall its name now.

• 6 months later...

I create my own unique companions in game through the console and Toaster's companion mod (allows you to recruit any NPC that has the rumor option).

First I use the showracemenu command to change my character to what I want my companion to look like.

Once I am satisfied, I close the race menu and use the createfullactorcopy command on myself to make a clone.

Then I revert my character back to whatever I want. The clone won't change and you can recruit them. They are also in the same factions as you so they shouldn't get into in trouble with factions (for example before I used a method where random NPCs I had follow me would be attacked sometimes in the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary).

I also use another mod that allows you to change NPCs essential status via a spell in game so I use that on my new companion as well.

You can also change the clone's name using setactorfullname "DESIRED NAME HERE" console command.

You could use this set-up to create your own NPCs :)

Note: Toaster's companion mod is needed if you want the clone to do anything as they won't have an AI package. You can tell them to wait and make themselves at home in the area they're in with it. They'll walk around, talk to other NPCs, eat, sit and sleep (Not sure about the sleep part)

• 1 month later...

@vvk

i am fairly sure OP meant NPCs not the PC. In the NPCs case nothing changes except that their skills get recalculated based on the new race.

As a general reply, i found out several useful things i guess:

1st: Changing gender is not possible in a running game as that seems to be saved into the saved game. No problems for a new game though, although be careful who you change as some can result in having no voice after the change (like Martin) since they have specifically tailor made dialogue. NPCs that have general dialogue usually are no problem, so Guards and other unnamed are fine.

2nd: Race changing is usually no problem although if you want to have dialogue spoken make sure you change into a race with the same Voice as the original race. For example if you want to hear Martin after changing him into a Demon, you must make sure that the Demon uses Imperial Voice files. That way you can change any race you like to anything else. In my game i have any elf like race use either Dark Elf or High Elf voices, Beast Races use either Khajiit or Nord, and everyone else Imperial or Redguard. So i look up what the original race was and what voice was used and then change it into something that uses the same voice.

Some dialogue is race triggered, however i am not sure if that only applies to the PC or NPCs talking to each other as well. I have never seen two Orcs chat in game really ;)

Also you can change race on a running game, unlike gender.

3rd: Face changes are always possible and have the least impact on the game, engine wise, but of course the most impact in beautification ;) You can do that anytime you want.

For the first two changes i use Tes4Edit, for the face gen i use... well Face Gen ;) and then export it to a save file, which you can reimport using Wrye Bash.

Hope that helps a little and enables people to make a lot more cosmetic additions :) Xeoex goes a little too far for my tastes, but i would love to see some of the standard races get supplanted by Beautiful People races and beautified that way.