After update, FE:LE won't recognise changes to core xml files

jadebrain

1. Copy "CoreAbilities.xml" on your desktop

2. Delete "CoreAbilities.xml" from the \English\ folder

3. Start LH

4. Select "New Game"

5. Select "Lord Relias"

6. What are you seeing in the "Abilities" column on the right side of the screen?

I see Altarian Blood, Air Disciple, Fire Apprentice, Discipline, and Train Henchmen. Beneath it, under "Altar," I see Wanderlust and Heroic.

3. Start LH

4. Select "New Game"

5. Select "Lord Relias"

6. What are you seeing in the "Abilities" column on the right side of the screen?

I see Altarian Blood, Air Disciple, Fire Apprentice, Discipline, and Train Henchmen. Beneath it, under "Altar," I see Wanderlust and Heroic.

Well, there you go... As there is no ability file there can't be any abilities showing up (and those - Altarian Blood, Air Disciple, etc. - are ALL abilities). So, you have to be working from the wrong folder (or you have duplicate files or mod files with the same information somewhere).

IF you are using Windows 7 and IF you haven't made any change to default installation, then FE:LH is installed in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FE Legendary Heroes\data\English\

As said before, you can verify the FE:LH folder using Steam

Steam Library > Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (Right-click) > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files

The directory you are sent to should match the directory you have delete CoreAbilities.xml from. In other words, CoreAbilities.xml should not be found in that directory.

and the \Mods\ folder is found here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\LegendaryHeroes\Mods\

I believe that directory should not have any .xml files (Since I presume you are modding the files directly from the English folder). If that is not the case, please be precise as to what is found in that directory.

Edited by PrimalSavage

3. Start LH

4. Select "New Game"

5. Select "Lord Relias"

Well, there you go... As there is no ability file there can't be any abilities showing up (and those - Altarian Blood, Air Disciple, etc. - are ALL abilities). So, you have to be working from the wrong folder (or you have duplicate files or mod files with the same information somewhere).

IF you are using Windows 7 and IF you haven't made any change to default installation, then FE:LH is installed in this folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FE Legendary Heroes\data\English\

As said before, you can verify the FE:LH folder using Steam

Steam Library > Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (Right-click) > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files

The directory you are sent to should match the directory you have delete CoreAbilities.xml from. In other words, CoreAbilities.xml should not be found in that directory.

and the \Mods\ folder is found here:

C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\LegendaryHeroes\Mods\

I believe that directory should not have any .xml files (Since I presume you are modding the files directly from the English folder). If that is not the case, please be precise as to what is found in that directory.

I'm modding the core files directly from the English folder, yeah. As for mods, as I've said before, I've installed mods, but they merely add content, as opposed to modifying it. I'm currently uploading my mods folder to the same google drive folder from before, so that you may look at it. It should be done uploading soon.

On another note, I had an idea to use as a work-around, where I actually copied the English folder into the mods directory in hopes that my changes would be read from there. Upon doing so, something weird happened with mounts, where the mesh for a mounted creature would appear duplicated above the original mesh. Basically, my mounted characters featured a copy of their mount, standing atop the original mount. Any idea why that's happening?

The duplicate mounted creatures comes from the ArtDef xml being read twice (one in your English folder and one in your Mod folder).

Is Notepad++ installed on your computer?

EDIT:

But do you get what I'm saying about the nonsense of being able to see abilities even if the file CoreAbilities.xml does not exist? In order to fix your problem, you need to find the duplicate/backup files (or the right folder where the game is installed).

Edited by PrimalSavage

The duplicate mounted creatures comes from the ArtDef xml being read twice (one in your English folder and one in your Mod folder).

Is Notepad++ installed on your computer?

EDIT:

But do you get what I'm saying about the nonsense of being able to see abilities even if the file CoreAbilities.xml does not exist? In order to fix your problem, you need to find the duplicate/backup files (or the right folder where the game is installed).

By "the ArtDef xml," are you referring to an actual xml file, or just the code?

I do have notepad++, though I don't use it much... perhaps I should use it more.

I do understand what you're saying, and I get why it's ridiculous. However, to my knowledge, I have not made any duplicate/backup files in any location that FE:LH would read. That's not to say I haven't ever made duplicate/backup files (though I can't recall if I have done so specifically for FE:LH), but when I make such files, they go in some folder I created on my desktop, or some other location which is not likely to be read by a game. I highly doubt that FE:LH is scanning my ENTIRE hard drive (1TB, about two-thirds full) for relevant data.

The duplicate mounted creatures problem comes from the file CoreMounts. Each mounts is described by xml code starting with <GameItemType InternalName="..."> and ending by </GameItemType>. In between those tags, there is an <ArtDef>...</ArtDef> tag that makes a reference to a <GameItemTypeArtDef InternalName="..."></GameItemTypeArtDef InternalName>. That specific tag <GameItemTypeArtDef InternalName="..."></GameItemTypeArtDef> and everything in between must not be duplicated in the \Mods\ folder in order to avoid duplicated mounts.

If you use Notepad++, you can search for a specific string in specific folders (or on your C drive). Use CTRL-SHIFT-F to load the Search in Files feature. Uncheck "Match whole word only", uncheck "Match case", uncheck "Follow current doc" (They all should be unchecked to start with). Use search mode "Extended". Check "In all sub-folders", check "In hidden folders". Search for (Exactly as typed) :

<AbilityBonusOption InternalName="AdeptsTech">

in your LH installation folder (Use "Find All" and NOT "Replace in Files"). You should only find one occurrence (Well, 0 if the CoreAbilities.xml file is deleted). If you find more than one, you've likely find the source of your problem. If you only find one, do the same search in your mod folder (You shouldn't find any there). If after those two searches you've only found one (or 0) occurrence, you will likely need to do the search on your whole hard drive using the same method - which might take several minutes - in order to find where the file is being loaded from.

Edited by PrimalSavage