What a disaster...

Lehcar

Does anyone have any advice for removing skunk smell from your house? It isn't too bad but you can still smell it a bit because he ran in the house dripping skunk juice everywhere. The cat is kind of a lost cause right now, we tried washing him with skunk smell removing shampoo but his head and face still reek to high heaven.. (that's right where he got the worst of it, he was blind for more than 45 minutes)

Now my mother is screaming after me to take a bath in tomato juice, too. Ugh this is just the worst thing ever, worst Saturday night in my entire life.

The shampoo probably will work...it just typically takes 5 or so washes.

As far as the house... air it out. Open all windows. The smell may get into the carpets, so you may or may not want to look into freshener spray.

Mostly leave the thing outside until you've washed it a few times, and be prepared to have a lot of air flow in the house.

I've dealt with this more times than I would have liked with my German Shepherds... each time they spent quite a few days in the garage. :D

Good luck.

Does anyone have any advice for removing skunk smell from your house? It isn't too bad but you can still smell it a bit because he ran in the house dripping skunk juice everywhere. The cat is kind of a lost cause right now, we tried washing him with skunk smell removing shampoo but his head and face still reek to high heaven.. (that's right where he got the worst of it, he was blind for more than 45 minutes)

Now my mother is screaming after me to take a bath in tomato juice, too. Ugh this is just the worst thing ever, worst Saturday night in my entire life.

Ouch Fabreze tinds to work, its great for disgusting smells like that, i hate to say it :sick: . For that smell around the house. I don't know about the being sprayed part, not easy to get rid of.

I had a few close encounters myself a few times.

My dad had a similar experience. No skunk was involved (Europe isn't good enough for them, is it?) but certainly a smelly pet. Most dogs still have their instinct to camouflage their smell intact, which is why the roll themsleves in things. In this case, 'things' ment a dead, rotten badger carcass the dog found when out and about. That dog spent quite a few nights outside the cabin...

The smell did go away, but not until dad had dragged the poor thing down to the lake and used severla bottles of shampoo. Rub it in, dunk the dog. Rub it in, dunk the dog. The smell did finally receed, but the dog's hurt feelings on the other hand... :P

So, yeah, the smell will go away, but it takes a few rounds with the shampoo. I suppose it goes away in time as well; with the shedding and cleaning. Really, the only thing that you should worry about concerning the cat is his very foul mood once you're done. He'll see this as an act of highest treason, and it'll take alot of top-shelf cat food and pampering to make him forgive and forget. :happy:

Haha, sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I find this a little funny. I am lucky that we don't have skunks where I live and I have never seen a real one, only on TV. The worst smell we had here was when someone pooped in our basement one night, but my mom had the luck to find it. Anyway I hope you'll be able to get rid of the smell. From what I heard skonks are famous for their smell. :sweat:

Skunks are not only famous for their smell, but for the persistence of that smell. It takes time for that smell to to completely dissipate, and believe it or not, you will get used to it before it does vanish completely. However anyone who hasn't been in your house will instantly detect it long after you have ceased to notice. Any carpet will have to be steam cleaned - probably several times with an application of a spray called "Skunk-off" you can probably find it in pet stores or maybe at a vet.

Google 'how to remove skunk odor' for more suggestions

The ingredient in tomato juice that helps is the vinegar, and straight vinegar will not stain as much as the tomato juice, but it still may cause discoloration if used on a carpet or other fabric.

@Kazakovich. I have had the same experience with a dog. At the time I had an old jeep (the open kind with no top). We were miles from home and the dog rode in the back causing the jeep to take on some of the smell. We tied the dog in the back and sent it through a car wash - The dog didn't appreciate it, but it did get rid of most of the smell. And it didn't hurt anything beyond the dog's feelings. I think that was the only time I ever washed that jeep.

Haha, sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I find this a little funny. I am lucky that we don't have skunks where I live and I have never seen a real one, only on TV. The worst smell we had here was when someone pooped in our basement one night, but my mom had the luck to find it. Anyway I hope you'll be able to get rid of the smell. From what I heard skonks are famous for their smell. :sweat:

Duuude... when your pet walks into the house after getting stunk... it's horrible. Like, you can taste it with your eyes bad. It's very...chemically and...well, horrible.