mod request: bury the dead

nickman777

• 2 weeks later...

There would have to be some sort of activator, perhaps a unique shovel? that sets down a marker at the player's location and places a static object 'open grave' or somesuch there.

It would need new meshes for graves, if you actually want to 'bury' bodies.

edit: Nix on new meshes, I forgot there are graves in Fallout.

A [very] simple alternative would be a unique shovel (or other item) adding an ability while in the player's inventory (like the lucky 8 ball) that gives you the option to bury the body when its activated (like the devour option.) Then the body would just be deactivated or moved to a Dummy cell.

edit: This would be just like Morrowind's "dispose of corpse" option.

It would need an "is player outside" type check in the script for continuity's sake.

All of my modding experience is with Oblivion, but if the GECK is reasonably similar to the CS, this should be workable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on a mod to pick up and bury the dead, although I have recieved very little success (mostly because corpses are references and not items and there seems to be very little ways to bridge the gap). This mod will be a bit simpler if it's just one corpse but requires some basic geck experience.

Duplicate any small indoor cell, name it 'Graveyard' and add an XMarker Heading in the render window (for instance, called it 'Graveyard Marker'). Add a script on the body that will move the corpse (use the MoveTo command to move it to the graveyard marker).

Now, make your grave site, add an activator script onto it, so when you examine it you get an on-screen message ('do you want to bury the body?) if you choose 'yes' use the command RewardKarma for immersion.

Sorry if that's complicated, I'm not sure what experience level you are with the Geck. If you have any more questions or need a hand getting it to work, just let me know :)

Hope I helped a little :)

yea i was thinking instead of moving the body to a room that all that needs to be done is delete the reference. it might be risky though. also if someone uses the room use "tepenny gaurd room" as that dupe cell. this cell was never used in vanilla fallout its perfect.

Well, since we seem to have a few supporters of this, I'll play around with it when I get a chance and see what I can get going.

It won't be anything fancy, maybe something as simple as the "dispose of corpse" thing in Morrowind, but I guess that would do the trick. I am a fan of simple mods anyways.

I'll post here if/when I get something functional.

Okay, I've got a simple, functional "Dispose of Corpse" thing going. It has only had one test-run, so it is still a WiP. All it does is... get rid of the body, by moving it to an X marker in an interior cell (and I did COC to the cell, and the body was there, so I know it worked. They're called 'dummy cells,' right?)

The option to bury or dispose of the body is only avaliable if you have a unique shovel equipped, and you are not in an interior cell. It was basically a combination of the Lucky8 Ball script and the Cannibal perk.

Making an actual grave that the body (doesn't actually but we'll pretend it does) goes into... that's a little above me. I know a few mods from Oblivion that will place static objects where the player is, or where another item is dropped, but they don't always work smoothly. Actually, I'll avoid modding something like that, because of the potential buggy-ness.

Along the lines of immersion/realism without getting too complicated... I like the rewardKarma idea. I am trying to think of how to trigger an automatic "wait" for one hour, and if there is anything like that somewhere in the game. Even just a fade out/fade in to give the illusion of time passed, like when Moira is healing your radiation. I mean, digging a grave isn't a quick process. A IsDetected condition probably needs to be thrown in too.

Trueform -- would moving the body to another cell, and adding an misc object 'body' to the player's inventory, and then removing the object after activating a grave site accomplish what you are trying to do? Or are you going for a bit more complex than that?

Okay, I've got a simple, functional "Dispose of Corpse" thing going. It has only had one test-run, so it is still a WiP. All it does is... get rid of the body, by moving it to an X marker in an interior cell (and I did COC to the cell, and the body was there, so I know it worked. They're called 'dummy cells,' right?)

The option to bury or dispose of the body is only avaliable if you have a unique shovel equipped, and you are not in an interior cell. It was basically a combination of the Lucky8 Ball script and the Cannibal perk.

Making an actual grave that the body (doesn't actually but we'll pretend it does) goes into... that's a little above me. I know a few mods from Oblivion that will place static objects where the player is, or where another item is dropped, but they don't always work smoothly. Actually, I'll avoid modding something like that, because of the potential buggy-ness.

Along the lines of immersion/realism without getting too complicated... I like the rewardKarma idea. I am trying to think of how to trigger an automatic "wait" for one hour, and if there is anything like that somewhere in the game. Even just a fade out/fade in to give the illusion of time passed, like when Moira is healing your radiation. I mean, digging a grave isn't a quick process. A IsDetected condition probably needs to be thrown in too.

Trueform -- would moving the body to another cell, and adding an misc object 'body' to the player's inventory, and then removing the object after activating a grave site accomplish what you are trying to do? Or are you going for a bit more complex than that?

after its moved to the cell write something in the script about player.placeatme (arlington cemetery tombstone) or something like that. i know very little about scripting so cant be much help on this one