Beginner's scripting advice

Trueform

Hey,

sorry if this topic is in the wrong place, I'm not too forum-savy. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can help, I know some basic scripting now, but I'm still pretty new to it; I am making a mod involving having to buy an item. I want the item set at a specific price (1000 caps) and the option to lower it with a [strength] challenge to 700 caps. I have looked at the basic vanilla scripts, so I know a part of the script (the SetItemValue 1000 part), but at the start of the script, I have tried

Begin OnGameMode

SetItemValue 1000

End

(I used the proper open/close brackets in my script, i think o_O ) which doesn't seem to work for some reason, and I would have the thought the

On AddPlayer

SetItemValue 1000

End

would only work if the player already owns it? I did try that anyway, which again didn't work, but maybe I'm doing something wrong there?

as for the script part about lowering the amount with a challenge, I'm clueless, to be honest :( Any help from you guys would be really appreciated, and as soon as my mod is done and basic-tested, I plan to post it on here :)

thanks in advance guys, I look forward to hearing from you.