The Gray Fox

Lehcar

Before I finished the Thieves Guild questline for the first time, I thought the Grey Fox would turn out to be a vampire or something. How is it exactly that no one realizes that there has been a crapload of different Grey Foxes over the years, and assumes that they're all the same person? That's kind of stupid. :wacko:

Especially if your character is female and you complete the Thieves Guild storyline. How is it no one notices that the Grey Fox suddenly has boobs?

Or if your and Orc, they don't notice that suddenly the Fox has green skin and an orc mouth? Or if your Khajiit/Argonian nobody notices that suddenly the Fox is all furry/scaly? Or if your a Nord, nobody notices the Fox has suddenly grown almost a foot taller? And if you're a Wood Elf, nobody notices that you're a foot shoter? Lol. :sweat:

As previously mentioned this is sorted out at the end of the quest line. The cowl of Nocturnal basically curses anyone wearing it to be the Gray Fox and that's all anyone sees, and without it they become a stranger that no one ever notices and they have their name "stricken from history". They can't even tell anyone their real name it just doesn't register to anyone listening. After the thieves guild quest though that is lifted but I think that if you wear the cowl you still just look like what everyone thinks the Gray Fox looks like and not yourself.

Before I finished the Thieves Guild questline for the first time, I thought the Grey Fox would turn out to be a vampire or something. How is it exactly that no one realizes that there has been a crapload of different Grey Foxes over the years, and assumes that they're all the same person? That's kind of stupid. :wacko:

Especially if your character is female and you complete the Thieves Guild storyline. How is it no one notices that the Grey Fox suddenly has boobs?

Or if your and Orc, they don't notice that suddenly the Fox has green skin and an orc mouth? Or if your Khajiit/Argonian nobody notices that suddenly the Fox is all furry/scaly? Or if your a Nord, nobody notices the Fox has suddenly grown almost a foot taller? And if you're a Wood Elf, nobody notices that you're a foot shoter? Lol. :sweat:

Spoiler:

Basically once the curse takes affect on the next person wearing it, it not only strikes that person's identity from history, it also alters the time line..... which explains how the Thieves Guild ends up having it's own place once you become the Fox and nobody remembers who the previous Fox was, except that the Gray Fox has been in the history books for such and such a time.

The Gray Fox you played along with attempted a number of times to show himself to his wife but she never recognized him..... it was not until he got everything you stole and put it all together to break the curse that he was finally freed, his wife finally recognized him and could continue on with his life....... and of course the moment you put on the Cowl, you become the Gray Fox, your original identity is stricken from history and the time line is altered...... thus because of the Identity of the Fox being stricken from history and the timeline being altered at the same time, to those who don't know the whole story, it would seem that the Gray Fox is indeed the same person and ageless.

Lethcar, the way it works is that you're one person (your original PC) without the cowl and you're the Gray Fox with the cowl. Nothing you do under one identity is attached to the other (including any bounties you might accrue) as far as the rest of the world is concerned. So, no ... you don't lose your positions with the guilds or the title "Champion of Cyrodiil", etc. Just think of the cowl as your secret identity, like Batman puts on his suit and cape and nobody recognizes him as Bruce Wayne. I visited my people in Dunbarrow Cove while wearing the cowl, for instance, and none of them recognized me, although they were delighted that the Gray Fox dropped in for a visit. I do seem to recall once sending them out to do some pirating, though, which I consider a glitch (they take orders from the owner of Dunbarrow Cove -- not from the Gray Fox), but that's a scripted event that could probably be fixed if someone wanted to look into it. In addition, another glitch in the game will result in you getting expelled from any guild while wearing the cowl if you commit a crime against that guild, so the game-design with respect to the anonymity it's supposed to give you isn't perfect.

The existence of the new Thieves Guild HQ in the Waterfront District is triggered by completion of the Thieves Guild quest line -- not the donning of the cowl, by the way. It will be there even if you never wear the cowl. The altered time-line was caused by the lifting of the curse at the end of "The Ultimate Heist". Oddly, you don't have to be wearing the cowl to access and use the Guildmaster's Quarters on the upper floor -- another place where things don't make sense. Ostensibly, the Gray Fox is the Guildmaster and you're just a high-level member of the Guild when you're not wearing the cowl, since nobody in the entire world but you and the former Gray Fox can possibly know that you're the new Gray Fox. Indeed, I don't even think the former Gray Fox actually recognizes you as the new Gray Fox if you're not wearing the cowl, although I've really had very little interaction with him in any capacity since he gave up that role.

The Count remembers his time as Gray Fox and will recognize you when he sees you.

He'll say something like, "So, you're the new Gray Fox? The cowl suits you. Me? I'll just stay here and be me."

The Countess will also have unique dialog, telling you to go away.

True -- at least during the initial meeting when you get handed the job as Gray Fox. I don't know about after that, though, since I've never been back to see the Countess. As for the Count, perhaps it's different for him because he was the Gray Fox, himself. The Countess remembering, though, would be contrary to everything else we actually know about the cowl -- IS contrary in fact, since she does recognize you during the last phase of the Thieves Guild quest line. It's not the only time that the Bethesda designers introduced internal consistencies within the game, and I consider that to be a serious design flaw, seeing that you can don and remove the cowl at any point in the game, thereafter, and have total anonymity (except for a few curious and aberrant situations, already discussed) regardless of who else you talk to. Logically, neither the Count or Countess should be exempt from this magic, but "logic" in the game design fails in many places in Oblivion.

• 3 weeks later...