Image Share Restrictions Suggestions

Ranokoa

Hmmm yeah translations are pretty unrealistic.

I think the nexus will always be an English only site.

Plus it's everyones favourite language ;) hehehe.

To be honest, language issues are not really an excuse.

If your on an english site you should at least be able to read english.

That's like me signing up to a spanish website (I don't know spanish at all)

and yes Thandal they will =(

But at least they will understand the image if they see it.

Well the more people banned for idiotic things like that the better really.

I thought you'd like that evilneko ;)

Sometimes censored images look indeed much better...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Zahgon/MonaLisa.jpg

Anyway, we shouldn't go from one extreme to the other, simply not to lose all credibility.

KDStudios, ummm... I can't speak for site's owner, but I somehow doubt that banning as many people with interest in adult content as he can was his original intention. So... maybe trying to explain the rules better before swinging the banhammer is still preferable? I really, really don't think anyone wants to drive "foreign" (not from english-speaking countries) people away, including modders, by the way.

I never once said don't let them here. It's just plain obvious that you need to at least UNDERSTAND english in order to use this site.

and Actually I OBVIOUSLY meant ban all the people who break the rules.

Because that is essentially what they have done.

Theres no defence against it really.

It says in a big box don't upload images of nudity and yet they still do it. There's no excuse.

Try not to put words into my mouth.

There are thousands of people that don't know english and still use this site. The language rule doesn't apply to knowledge, just usage (uh, I think). And I was never talking about people who ignore the pink box, just those that cannot read it in a meaningful way. If you want an example, then take any japanese modder. Almost none of them seem to know english, all their readmes are machine translations. The do break the rules from time to time, but not because they don't care, simply because they can't understand them - japanese modding community is very used to adult content so they see it as norm, besides Nexus was allowing any sort of screenshots for years.

That was just an explanation, but I feel we're approaching to flaming each other and there's hardly a place on the forum worse for it than this one. I also can't say it has any use for the situation itself aside from voicing our points of view. So if there's still something to say, then maybe we should bring that to PM?

I apologise to the other participants.

There are thousands of people that don't know english and still use this site. The language rule doesn't apply to knowledge, just usage (uh, I think).

Yes, there probably are thousands who do so. And, as far as I can tell, the Language Rule applies to everyone in two ways: communications must be in English, or they are subject to removal (and possible "Strikes", etc.) and all of the Rules are in English. As long the non-English speaking users follow the site's rules, that's fine. And when they don't they will be banned, and they will not understand why. And that's fine too.

IMO, the site's manangment have gone overboard to try to make clear, in the most widely understood language on the planet, what users are not allowed to do (which really isn't very much.) For that tiny minority who both violate the TOS and can honestly claim that it was "just an honest mistake", I see no reason to subject other users to the the negative consequences of their ignorance.

[edited to add follow-up thoughts:] Exactly what CONTRIBUTIONS to the site are these non-English speaking users who violate the TOS making? With the exception of some pretty screen shots, (the "prettiest" of which seem to be at the heart of the issue) it has to be "almost none". Everything else on Nexus depends on the written word (in English!) to communicate the value of the submission. Whether it's the "Description and Installation Instructions" for a mod, or a Comment on a post in a Forum, a minimal ability to convey the meaning in English is required to do anything useful at all.

The limited-English proficiency user can LEARN a lot by being a regular here. And you can see a whole lot of effort being expended by the Community as a whole to help when they are brave enough to post a question, but that still means, "Some English". [/edit]

If using the site is of sufficient importance to the banned user, they can make the effort to learn why, and what they can do to get unbanned. If it's not important enough to them, why should it be to the rest of us, much less to the Nexus managment team?

Edited by Thandal