From Mature to Teen

Sojan

I have a little bro who would like to play oblivion but due to the M rating can't and doesn't choose too, and i personally wouldn't mind oblivion being cleaned up a little through a mod.

I would like a mod that eliminates all the blood, gore, partial nudity, sexual themes, language, and any other suggestive themes or vulgarity that does not subtract too much from the overall gameplay of oblivion.

If anyone would help me for all those people who want a cleaner gameplay experience

You know I've never really encountered anything that warrants the M rating in Oblivion. FO3 sure, nothing in that game is T but Oblivion is fine. I'm only 14 and since I started playing at around 10 I've never seen anything. I have seen a lot of friends who aren't allowed to play it though but that's just because their parents enforce a blunt "NO M games" rule. Many times they haven't even heard of Oblivion, "just say no" seems to be the policy. Maybe the undead are a bit graphic, but not that much in my opinion.

If I were you I'd talk with your parents and try to explain that just because ESRB say's it's M doesn't mean it's that bad. There's lots of adult mods out there of course but it's not as if you have to download them. Oh and if you look Oblivion up you'll find that at first it was rated T and then re rated later after they took a close look at Lucien Lachances mutilated body. SI is a bit more M I admit (greenmote comes to mind) so you may want to consider that.

It got bumped up because someone found out that deep in the BSA there was a mesh (or maybe texture?) for a nude female upperbody. It would require a modder to dig out, and has since been rendered obsolete by all the replacers, but apprent;y the though of boobs buried deep in the game shocked the pearl-clutching censors so much they had to bump it up to M.

All the blood, guts, the whole DB questline, sure, no problem! Boobs that you need a mod to access? Le horror!

Geroge Carlin did a wonderful routine on it.

But, seriously, man, if the M rating is all that't got you worried, don't mod the boobs into your game, and you have the game that earned the T rating. Also, have your sprog stick to some of the smaller miscellaneous quests. Can't do the MQ, that has demon-worship, violence, undead (all rotting corpses). Can't do the Fighters Guild, it has racism and swearing and drug use (and killing) . Can't do the Mages Guild quests, more killing, more blood, more undead. Can't do the Db quests, as there's violence, murder, blood, death, mutilation, psychopathy and severed heads, assassination and swearing.

Matter of fact, if you cleaned Oblivion up, it wouldn't be Oblivion any more. You'd have, like, two or three side quests, and the rest would have to be rmeoved entirely.

[rant]

As has been mentioned, Oblivion is "M", not because there's any "M" content actually available without modding, but because it's possible to mod the game to make visible a portion of the anatomy that many of the kids who would like to play Oblivion quite possibly used to suckle upon. The rating system is broken. It's always been broken. It always will be broken. It's not because rating systems are inherently faulty, but because the raters simply don't have a clue how to follow their arguments to logical conclusions. Welcome to America where laws don't have to make sense and the people who make those laws should probably be writing stories for four year olds.

[/rant]

I seriously doubt you'll find anyone who is going to do a mod like you want. There just isn't enough demand for it and it would be an enormous undertaking to comb virtually the entire game to edit the few suggestive or otherwise "offensive" bits of dialog that are present in the Vanilla game, replace all the blood textures with transparent textures, etc. As for the "partial nudity" the only thing even approaching partial nudity in the unmodded game are people in their undies (which includes a top piece for female characters). If that bothers you then don't bother stripping the clothes from corpses. Oh, there's one guy you have kill while he's taking a swim in his shorts, but you can just decide not to do that quest and there's a quest for one of the Daedric Princes where you'll have to cast a spell that will make a room of people, including your character nude (meaning in their undies). You don't have to that one, either. Frankly, any sane person should be a lot more disgusted about how Oblivion promotes the idea of cold-blooded murder and violence as just about the only way of settling differences than for the very rare suggestive comment by an NPC. As someone else said, it's OK for a game to be based upon murder and mayhem, but flash just one boob (and I don't even think the texture in question includes nipples) and people scream that it's adult content.

Ok.... I dont really see why games need ratings higher than 12+

Cause, by 12 plus, any boy will already know lots and lots about the female body - I don't see why it's offensive either ways, what is going to happen, eyes popping out, brain exploding upon the sight of breasts ? Seriously, every single female has them. A TEEN KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE - a teen probably has a huge pile of playboys under his bed.

Now, you agree with me on this seen the other posts.

But, I also dont think violence should get M ratings. Why not? People also have a clear idea of what violence is, and it's not likely to shock them. Also, people have a clear idea of what the consecuenses are for violence in the real world, and I think video games doesn't make people more aggresive in real life. In fact, I think the exact oppisite - let's say you are really pissed of at someone. If you had no video games, you'd just be stuck with it, but when you do have video games with violence, turn on tgm, go on a killing spree, and you're likely to feel a lot better. You feeling a lot better makes it less likely that you'll show aggression in real life. So, I basically think violent video games make people less violent in real.

As for the drugs. Drugs are a part of this world, wether you like it or not, and kids get thaught about them at 10 where i live. I am happy to live in holland, so we have a honest opinion about them and also tell the good sides (yes, those exist). In Oblivion, one of the few games that dared to implement drug use through skooma and greenmote, they are pictured as bad and in no way attractive. Renember Fallian, the guy you have to kill in DB? So, by rating a game with drugs M, all you do is teach kids that they're not allowed to even know what they are, which only makes them likely to investigate them.

So, my opinion in one sentence: You're only censoring things kids already know about, and it isn't doing any good at all. If a kid doesn't want to play a game with violence, he knows how to talk.

That's that for my rant.