Civilization 5

Chaosblade02

Just bought this game yesterday, anyone else got it? Only thing I didn't like was you had to use Steam, but there is already a patch out that lets you play without even installing steam. A few minor things I didn't like about the combat strategy, cities being able to defend and attack back without having any units defending. They basically flipped the whole combat system upside down, and I prefer the other systems better. Another thing is you don't need transports/ships to carry troops across the sea, once you get the required technology, you can just move them in the water, and they just hop on boats, but land unit convoys are vulnerable to sea vessels and can be instant killed if they catch you in the water. And I looked around in the files, and couldn't find a map editor like the previous versions had where you could make your own maps, which was a great feature, but I don't think its included in Civ 5.

Pros: You don't really have to spend resources on having lots of troops to defend your cities, in fact, 90% of my cities got no troops at all in them.

Cons: If you do want to go on the offensive, you need a lot of troops, more than in the previous Civ games, or a massive tech advantage.

I still think its a solid strategy game, I give it a 7.5/10.

Yeah that is another issue I got with this game, is how CPU heavy it is. Sure a lot goes on with AI movements and such, and gets progressively worse the longer the game goes on, I found that most of the time, I keep the game in strategic view, and it cuts down on lots of the slowdowns.

You aren't missing much either, I liked Civilization 2, 3. and 4 better. And still say Civilization 2 was the best.

Another thing that came to mind was, they took away the option to modify terrain with worker/engineer units, like if you didn't like that patch of desert, you could modify it and turn it into plains, or modify it again and make it a grassland, etc. So even from the farmville perspective, they give you less options. And no use for mountains? Not even mining?

This game was kinda known for its realism, but it seems like they are steering away from that, to the point where they may as well include star wars technology in the game, they did include a new unit called a Giant Death Robot you get from researching Nuclear Fusion, they may as well let you build the Enterprise, and beam me up Scotty.

They already made a sci-fi turn based strategy called Alpha Centauri, its actually pretty good, and I prefer it over some of the Civ games, including this one.

Cons: If you do want to go on the offensive, you need a lot of troops, more than in the previous Civ games, or a massive tech advantage.

Trebuchets, catapults and archers for sieges.

Look for the counter to specific enemy units. Keep a solid mix of units.

You don't need that many troops.

I don't like how the game has been simplified just to appeal to a broader audience.

Did they finally do away with the archaic 2D graphics and tight top-down only mapview?

This is a strategy sim game, they aren't really known for their graphics, but as far as that goes, I suppose its good for a game of this type, but its not good enough to justify the very taxing PC specs it has, this PC has a dual core I5, decent processor, and a 1GB Nvidia card, and it puts a strain on my PC, I get big slowdowns after the map is explored, and it takes about 30 secs just to load the next turn. This was on a large map, because I like large maps in these games, that means more cities, I tried a small map and the lag wasn't nearly as bad.

If your PC is closer to the minimum specs, I don't recommend you do any bigger than the small map size, unless you don't mind waiting 1-2 minutes to load turns on a large map.

I purchased this the day before yesterday for around £20. I've had the full Civ IV collection on my PC for a while and haven't played it too much as it felt outdated and combat wasn't really tactical or relax so to speak. However I am thoroughly impressed with Civ V, both visually and gameplay wise - it feels new and modern, though it also does away with some of the pointless features, but throws in some awesome new ones such as the redesigned combat system which makes things far more tactical.

To be perfectly honest, I disagree about it being taxing and I would say it is fairly well optimised, I run it on the following at the highest DX10 settings at 1600x1200.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055T hexa-core @ 2.8Ghz

RAM: 8GB of Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600MHz DDR3

GPU: ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GTX285 1GB VRAM, Overclocked/AMP! edition

I also have several things running in the background such as HWMonitor, Firefox (usually 5-6 tabs aswell as downloads going), Spotify, Windows Live Messanger, ESET Smart Security, Steam (obvs) and I never see more than 25% of my system resources used.

I purchased this the day before yesterday for around £20. I've had the full Civ IV collection on my PC for a while and haven't played it too much as it felt outdated and combat wasn't really tactical or relax so to speak. However I am thoroughly impressed with Civ V, both visually and gameplay wise - it feels new and modern, though it also does away with some of the pointless features, but throws in some awesome new ones such as the redesigned combat system which makes things far more tactical.

To be perfectly honest, I disagree about it being taxing and I would say it is fairly well optimised, I run it on the following at the highest DX10 settings at 1600x1200.

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055T hexa-core @ 2.8Ghz

RAM: 8GB of Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600MHz DDR3

GPU: ZOTAC Nvidia GeForce GTX285 1GB VRAM, Overclocked/AMP! edition

I also have several things running in the background such as HWMonitor, Firefox (usually 5-6 tabs aswell as downloads going), Spotify, Windows Live Messanger, ESET Smart Security, Steam (obvs) and I never see more than 25% of my system resources used.

Did you have to use steam to play it? Account, or web purchase?