About the legality of...

potatochip

...Uploading an attack/hit soundpack for the beast races (argonian + khajiit) which uses the sounds from Morrowind. Can anyone tell me if this would be bad? Instincts say yes, but then again it IS just Bethesda's sounds, just reworked to fit Oblivion. If it does end up being infringement of some sort that would be unfortunate, because I think the original Morrowind attack/hit sounds are much better than the ones done for Oblivion. Thanks in advance for any help.

...Uploading an attack/hit soundpack for the beast races (argonian + khajiit) which uses the sounds from Morrowind. Can anyone tell me if this would be bad? Instincts say yes, but then again it IS just Bethesda's sounds, just reworked to fit Oblivion. If it does end up being infringement of some sort that would be unfortunate, because I think the original Morrowind attack/hit sounds are much better than the ones done for Oblivion. Thanks in advance for any help.

It would be bad. Bethesda has expressly forbidden any cross-game usage such as this. Sorry.

This is why a certain massive project that used to be here was yanked from this site (and we're not even supposed to talk about it by name, so I understand). You will be in violation of your Oblivion EULA if you import any content from any game (even Bethesda's games) into Oblivion, or export any of Oblivion's content to another game. This is, therefore, not just something which Bethesda threw at us from the left field bullpen. You agreed to this by installing Oblivion (or downloaded from Steam if that's what you did), even even if you didn't bother to read the agreement. There's nothing stopping you from doing this for your own use, of course. You simply will not be able to host your mod on this particular site.

This is why a certain massive project that used to be here was yanked from this site .....

Which is a bunch of crap if you ask me. You still have to have the original for it to even work which means you'd have to buy it. I have never understood why Beth was so adamant about that. If anything, it would help increase it's sales of an older game. makes no sense whatsoever.

This is why a certain massive project that used to be here was yanked from this site .....

Which is a bunch of crap if you ask me. You still have to have the original for it to even work which means you'd have to buy it. I have never understood why Beth was so adamant about that. If anything, it would help increase it's sales of an older game. makes no sense whatsoever.

Because some of the resources Bethesda didn't actually own - they just had the right to use it for morrowind.

EDIT: It'd be like lending your car to a friend - and then he goes and gives it to someone else. Your friend has permission to use the car, but not to let others use it as well.

Because some of the resources Bethesda didn't actually own - they just had the right to use it for morrowind.

EDIT: It'd be like lending your car to a friend - and then he goes and gives it to someone else. Your friend has permission to use the car, but not to let others use it as well.

Ahh, so some of the components used to make Morrowind wasn't owned by Beth? Now that makes sense. I can understand why it can't be done then.