Instal Oblivion Again

TheTeeMan

Okay, I have installed Oblivion a loooong time ago :P and it is heavily moded, but I want to install oblivion once more to have a clean game, and still have the moded version, but when I put the oblivion cd in, I can only uninstall it.

So, anyone know how to install it once more without uninstalling the moded version?

Well you could just copy your DATA folder somewhere else and then re-install game, and put back mods you want to DATA folder.

That would take a while and can't be sure that all mods will work but that seems to be the best option... or make new Windows User account and install game on new profile :tongue:

Unfortunately due to the way Oblivion uses the Windows registry to tell the program where it is installed, a true dual install isn't really possible.

Here is my work around - basically what HanPL suggested,:thumbsup: but more in depth and with a set of batch files to allow quick switching.

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=285

Okay, I have installed Oblivion a loooong time ago :P and it is heavily moded, but I want to install oblivion once more to have a clean game, and still have the moded version, but when I put the oblivion cd in, I can only uninstall it.

So, anyone know how to install it once more without uninstalling the moded version?

Oblivion and all other programs deposit entries into the Windows registry and they stay there despite you un-installing the game, a major dysfunction, despite all Microsoft hype!. what you must do is, go to Run, type regedit, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, choose software, then scroll down and physically delete all Bethesda registry keys yourself. Re-boot and you will find you can re-install your game from scratch. Hope this is of help, best wishes, Chris