You know what really grinds my gears?

WeissYohji

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks you xx Also I must say the fact that Bethesda left out the ability to remove corpses like we could in Morrowind is really irritating too...

and how bad the NPC conversational AI is... it's really weird :confused:

also, why do merchants never bother restocking their shops and people never redecorate their houses after their stuff has been stolen?

I agree with most of these. Also, something to add (unless I missed it).

-The water, it was always still, unless it rained, then it caused ripples, but I could jump in it and no waves. Also with water the boats don't rock back'n'forth (there's a mod that fixes that, but I don't know about pilotable boats)

-The rain, why is it raining in the tent?

I agree with most of these. Also, something to add (unless I missed it).

-The water, it was always still, unless it rained, then it caused ripples, but I could jump in it and no waves. Also with water the boats don't rock back'n'forth (there's a mod that fixes that, but I don't know about pilotable boats)

-The rain, why is it raining in the tent?

There are some water mods out there that greatly enhance the water. Enhanced Water 2.0 and SI Addon are very nice in my opinion. It's what I use. There are many other variations though.

The Rain. Well Rain has no collision. That's why it goes through the bridges, tents, etc... It's a technicality and one of the few things modders have yet to conquer. One day...

This doesn't really grind my gears but I just wonder about it.

While all the other Daedric Princes make themselves look humanoid, why in the heck does Hermaeus Mora make himself look like a big green blob of crab claws and octopus tentacles? Ick. Weird.

Then there's the playable vanilla races themselves. You've got four human races (Imperials, Nords, Redguards, and Bretons), two beast races (Khajiit and Argonians), and the elven races (Bosmer, Dunmer, Altmer, and Orcs; Orcs being a demi-elven race). Out of the human races, they're all white except for the black Redguards. Would it kill Bethesda to put other types of humans in the game? Maybe some Asians, Arabs, or both kinds of Indians?

Well, perhaps, but consider, back in the Medieval Ages in real life, were there many Arabs, Asians, Indians and Black people in Europe at the time? I didn't think so. There is a reason, most of Tamriel is European-influenced, so U won't see Asians, Arabs or Indians. There were a few black people in Europe in the Medieval Ages, so that's why there r Redguards. Trust me, it's not racist

I'm sorry, but I think Oblivion is a good game BUT these problems screw it up, even if fixable. Here's why:

1. SIZE - How can Cyrodiil be THAT small?! My home city, Wollongong with a population of only 275,000, is WAY bigger in size!!! And Tamriel is supposed 2 B the size of Europe?! And how does this ratio with the size of the game world of Daggerfall? Sure, OK, scaling down, but this is ridiculous! I know Morrowind scaled down, maybe a little bit too much, but it wasn't as bad as Oblivion. The Imperial City should be like, District after District after District. Even with scaling down.

2. LACK OF ORIGINALITY - No-one can deny that Morrowind was revolutionary. If you were to write a list of the most original games of all time, you would be insane not 2 include Morrowind. Everything about it is uncomparable, I cannot even explain it. Oblivion was a big step down, and I don't care much, but it as a bit disappointing after Morrowind. 4 example, I had a collection of clothes from Morrowind, all because they were so original, so revolutionary, as was the armor. Oblivion's armor and clothes I keep to wear only, because they r boring.

3. TRAINING WHEELS - Bethesda, I know you did a lot of dumbing down 4 the kids, but honestly, fast travel is 4 games like SKATE 3 where it takes you 7 hours to get from one place to the next by walking (or skating with this example). Not for a game where it takes you 40 minutes to get from the lowest point of the map 2 he highest. Ruins exploration. And Essential NPCs & Quest Items? Ruins ur freedom >:( .

4. AI - Everyone else has said it. It's plain stupid becuase its poorly done.

5. RACES - The races were impressive in Morrowind. Argonians & Khajits really felt like beasts, it was such an incredibly different experience playing them. The Imperials seemed stuck-up and haughty, the Bretons seemed intelligent and irritated all the time, the Nords seemed Viking-ish, the Redguards seemed wise and strong, the Wood Elves seemed annoying & rude, the High Elves seemed Pansy and "I'm-So-Much-Better-Than-You", and last, but certainly not least, the Dark Elves seemed so cut off from the other races, and so pure, and so grumpy (and sort of evil). Just the way they should be. In Oblivion, they all seem bland and uniform. Plus, Dark Elves R supposed 2 B grey, not blue or green, and the Redguards are supposed to B brown (No, I'm not being racist). And all races have really bad voices (no offense to the actors, you did a good job, but you didn't suit them.)

6. MINIGAMES - They R so annoying! They are based on your reflexes, not your character's skill. So therefore, either they or the skills have 2 go, because it makes either useless.

7. SIMPLY NEEDS 2 BE MODDED - OK, this isn't really a fault, but it's just funny becuase Morrowind had a CD right next 2 the game CD and on that extra CD was your tool to COMPLETELY change the game. So Morrowind was begging 2 B modded, but it didn't need much. Oblivion says "I don't need 2 B modded, but 4 hardcore fans, you can download it here. And if you don't have a credit account yet (age, u see), you're screwed." But Oblivion is the game that should be begging 2 be modded. Most of these problems on the list R fixable.

8. MESHES - Oblivion's meshes are horrendous. From a distance, things look AMAZING! But, for instance, you walk up to a rock and you can see how meshes are painted on the shape of the rock extremely poorly, and how some parts of the mesh (I don't know how to say it really) are stretched, other parts are GREEN. That's supposed to be moss - Looks more like someone puked on it. And don't pull out the age card, becuase Morrowind is twice Oblivion's age, and it has great meshes, even close up.

9. LEVELLING - To some extent, it's a good idea. But only if the levelling system only minorly affects the gameplay, like in Fallout 3. In F3, things are according to a levelling system too, but you can still walk into a place too hard for your level, and a place too easy 4 U. In Oblivion, you encounter nothing but rats until you begin to level up, and eventually, you'll encounter nothing but Minotaurs.

10. REPETETIVENESS - Let's go exploring! You'll find caves that all look the same, trees, grass, rocks, and villages & inns. The Villages & Inns part is OK, but Morrowind had so much to find, to explore, to sell off, and it was exiting just to go into a Daedric Ruin, die 5 times, kill the inhabitants, find an amazing artefact, then go to Caldera (as an example) and sell all you found, but keep the artefact which you'll give to the Museum of Artefacts. And this was SO MUCH FUN, and challenging, even on lowest difficulty! Oblivion has none of this, unless you find a Deadric Shrine, all of which are boring, and guess what, ALL THE SAME!!!

11. OVERUSE OF CELLS - Why do cities need their own cells? And more so, EVERY DISTRICT?! I'm sure there's a reason, but it must have another solution other than what Bethesda did, becuase the overuse of cells is just ridiculous.

These might seem stupid, because you are going to say that you can fix most of these with mods, but is a casual gamer really gonna find this website for mods when they can just hate Oblivion and get the new Final Fantasy Game?

The only argument here against Oblivion I'll defend is lack of gore. It's called censorship, Oblivion was made to introduce the Elder Scrolls games to a younger generation. Gore would've just kept Oblivion with a more mature audience which only graphics freaks and hardcore fans like us would mostly like because of it's problems like the ones above. And i'm sure much of the younger generation like myself found Morrowind 2 deep, and stuck with Final Fantasy. I however, enjoy deep games. This reason actually might justify lack of originality a bit...

I'm sorry, but I think Oblivion is a good game BUT these problems screw it up, even if fixable. Here's why:

1. SIZE - How can Cyrodiil be THAT small?! My home city, Wollongong with a population of only 275,000, is WAY bigger in size!!! And Tamriel is supposed 2 B the size of Europe?! And how does this ratio with the size of the game world of Daggerfall? Sure, OK, scaling down, but this is ridiculous! I know Morroind scaled down, maybe a little bit too much, but it wasn't as bad as Oblivion. The Imperial City should be like, District after District after District. Even with scaling down.

2. LACK OF ORIGINALITY - No-one can deny that Morrowind was revolutionary. If you were to write a list of the most original games of all time, you would be insane not 2 include Morrowind. Everything about it is unconparable, I cannot even explain it. Oblivion was a big step down, and I don't care much, but it as a bit disappointing after Morrowind.

3. TRAINING WHEELS - Bethesda, I know you did a lot of dumbing down 4 the kids, but honestly, fast travel is 4 games like SKATE 3 where it takes you 7 hours 2 get from one place the next by walking (or skating with this example). Not for a game where it takes you 40 minutes to get from the lowest point of the map 2 he highest. And Essential NPCs & Quest Items? Ruins ur freedom >:( .

4. AI - Everyone else has said it. It's plain stupid becuase its poorly done.

5. RACES - The races were impressive in Morrowind. Argonians & Khajits really felt like beasts, it was such an incredibly different experience playing them. The Imperials seemed stuck-up and haughty, the Bretons seemed intelligent and irritated all the time, the Nords seemed Viking-ish, the Redguards seemed wise and strong, the Wood Elves seemed annoying & rude, the High Elves seemed Pansy and "I'm-So-Much-Better-Than-You", and last, but certainly not least, the Dark Elves seemed so cut off from the other races, and so pure, and so grumpy. Just the way they should be. In Oblivion, they all seem bland and uniform. Plus, Dark Elves R supposed 2 B grey, not blue or green, and the Redguards are supposed to B brown (No, I'm not being racist). And all races have really bad voices (no offense to the actors, you did a good job, but you didn't suit them.)

6. MINIGAMES - They R so annoying! They are based on your reflexes, not your character's skill. So therefore, either they or the skills have 2 go, because it makes them both useless.

7. SIMPLY NEEDS 2 BE MODDED - OK, this isn't really a fault, but it's just funny becuase Morrowind had a CD right next 2 the game CD and on that extra CD was your tool to COMPLETELY change the game. So Morrowind was begging 2 B modded, but it didn't need much. Oblivion says "I don't need 2 B modded, but 4 hardcore fans, you can download it here. And if you don't have a credit account yet (age, u see), you're screwed." But Oblivion is the game that should be begging 2 be modded.

8. OTHER THINGS THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW TOO MUCH OF - Sloppy and Repetetive Voices, Repetitive landscape, blah blah blah

9. OTHER MINOR THINGS THAT YOU'LL NOTICE YOURSELF - Just play.

This might seem stupid, because you are going to say that you can fix most of these with mods, but is a casual gamer really gonna find this website for mods when they can just hate Oblivion and get the new Final Fantasy Game?

The only argument here against Oblivion I'll defend is lack of gore. It's called censorship, Oblivion was made to introduce the Elder Scrolls games to a younger generation. Gore would've just kept Oblivion with a more mature audience which only graphics freaks and hardcore fans like us would mostly like because of it's problems like the ones above. And i'm sure much of the younger generation like myself found Morrowind 2 deep, and stuck with Final Fantasy. I however, enjoy deep games. This reason actually might justify lack of originality a bit...

Though I have played TES series since its opening days of Arena and have up till Morrowind, been a loyal follower of TES series, I've been very late getting into Oblivion. I bought the GOTY pack just this past weekend and have logged about 20 hours of play since then. The above sums up my feelings regarding the game to a great extent, with the most prevelant being that Bethesda's greatest effort seems to have been spent on water and grass effects in comparison to the content of what I expected. The minigames of "social interaction" and "lockpicking"..really? The scale of the land, the game scaling in general, it pretty much all points to supporting the reservations I had about it whenever I saw it demoed in the stores I frequented. I'd look at it and think, yes, its a pertty screen, nice high def stuff...but the character models look immensely stiff and downright FUGLY, and it seems more a console-baby game than a PC game.

I got quickly turned off from the game just by the character creation feature, this mesh skin sliding seems to be the rage but I personally, don't get it. The degree of effort to simply get a individual to not look like a inbred hillbilly is absurd, and yet the engine itself seems capable of so much. To digress a bit, as a friend of mine said, the reason to buy Oblivion for the PC isn't for the game, but the toolset and mod community it has. I'm sure Bethesda has armadillo hide when it comes to dealing with commentary from its customer base, especially these days when most people can't seem to offer any sort of feedback without resorting to insults and sophomoric posturing of a trash talking teenager. However, I have to say that what I've been exposed to with Oblivion and its content is deeply disappointing and has shaken my confidence in Bethesda's design philosophy considerably. I used to consider them one of the pioneers and champions of the industry up there with Bioware, but it seems that dumbed down and contrived content has claimed yet another victim in favor of the corperate dollar and the perceived worth of console gaming where you are told what you will enjoy. Mores the pity.