Can't ask Dr. Preston about andriod

yeahchris

Not exactly critical, but this is the first time it has ever happened to me and it seems to be persistent (as I've reloaded before the quest was started, re-accepted it, and I still can't ask). I don't know whether this is truly a mod issue or a bug with the quest. I'm running *a lot* of mods, but I have virtually no bugs, and a well ordered mod list. The biggest mods I'm running are MMM, FWE, WMK, and project beauty.

Does anyone know if there's a console command to set the correct quest stage where one can ask him about the android?

Oh, and my quest log *does* give me the "[optional] Find out what Dr. Preston knows about the android." quest instruction. Does that mean the aforementioned stage is already set?

Not exactly critical, but this is the first time it has ever happened to me and it seems to be persistent (as I've reloaded before the quest was started, re-accepted it, and I still can't ask). I don't know whether this is truly a mod issue or a bug with the quest. I'm running *a lot* of mods, but I have virtually no bugs, and a well ordered mod list. The biggest mods I'm running are MMM, FWE, WMK, and project beauty.

Does anyone know if there's a console command to set the correct quest stage where one can ask him about the android?

Oh, and my quest log *does* give me the "[optional] Find out what Dr. Preston knows about the android." quest instruction. Does that mean the aforementioned stage is already set?

It sounds as if the proper quest stage is already set, otherwise the flag would not have been set to give you that quest instruction. Mods can interfere with vanilla quests. I would recommend using FO3Edit to check over all of your mods for conflicts to be certain that is not the case(not as bad as it sounds).

But there is also a chance that you just have a messed up savegame. I have had luck clearing up some weird glitches with the player death and resurrection method. The easiest way is to find a nice safe place for your player character to frag himself (grenades work well). The player dies and resurrects from a point just before the self destruction, but often times without a great deal of screwy savegame baggage that can accumulate even without adding and removing mods. Starting a new savegame thread from that point might give you some relief, otherwise maybe try FO3Edit.

I have the same issue with the Doctor. I was going to check it out when I got a chance. I'm running the same set of mods - minus MMM.

Edit:

Go back and talk to Zimmer. I thought I had accepted the task - but apparently not.

As it is a quest with several options to get the quest to continue it also might be possible that you have gathered enough information to move on.

Sometimes it will then not give the option to ask dr preston about the android. :(

You might also have noticed that not all the notes/tapes are there when looking for them.

Some of the notes contain the exact same info that is required to move on.

Has it already given you the option to go to pinkerton to ask him again about the android?

When it has then probably the option to talk to dr preston has been deactivated

;)

Rickerhk nailed this problem. Apparently the neutral, standoffish dialogue options for the quest don't actually trigger the stage required to ask Dr. Preston about the android, even though the dialogue options *do* indicate quest acceptance, and Zimmer does tell you to go speak to Dr. Preston. The fix is to go back to zimmer and accept the quest again.