A special mansion/vault player home

thetorturedbodysoul

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the offer of help Lostone :) it is greatly appreciated. I'll give you a shout if I need anything :D

I think you guys are gonna love this one, it'll go very well with a zombie apocalypse mod. It's actually placed more or less right between Vault 101 and Megaton, very close to both and a short walk from springvale.

As for the exterior, it has both walls and barbed wire - thick walls running all the way around with Mark IV turrets on each corner and the two posts at either side of the heavy tenpenny tower-style gate; barbed wire running all the way long the top of the walls. The place will be a fortress.

The mansion itself is a calvert manor model, slightly resized to fit into the area, but it will be the same size on the inside and still look fine :)

I'll upload some pics later on today.

Well, I don't know if it's my geck going wrong or if it's my heightmapping that needs work, but I think this request is beyond my scope that the moment, sorry :(

I have been trying to get the height right all day around Megaton, it started out well, but then every time I went into it in the game, the textures are going very wrong and screwing up; it's like the ground texture's gone weird and then, but when you walk on it, you drop through the texture and onto the ground below it...

@ Lostone, I don't know if that's something you would know how to solve or if you would like to take over from here? It could be the location that I'm trying it in, the area around megaton / vault 101 is very, very rocky and hilly and I think this may be messing up textures.

Anyway, unless that's something someone else can solve, I'm gonna have to pass the torch to someone else with more heightmap experience until I can get the practise to right it.

I'm sorry I couldn't do the request; if I have any more success in the future and the request still needs doing, I shall contact you :)

Do you think it would be fine if you were able to conform the mansion and it's area to the terrain itself? Not sure if it's possible...or if perhaps somewhere on the opposite side of vault 101...like if it's between vault 101 and Springvale...perhaps even replacing some of the buildings in Springvale itself(as long as it doesn't mess with the area around the gas station as I like the mini vault mod as well) but perhaps that would help...not sure...the location is not set in my mind...as long as it's just close to vault 101 is all I care about.

I can give it a try; it's not the mansion itself I'm having the problem with, just the area, so if that would be good enough for you, I can give it a blast and see how it turns out. It's a nightmare trying to do heightmapping in the megaton area - there's so much around it going on with regards to events, rocks and hills, etc that if you change one thing, it all goes downhill and changes everything else, so I don't want to make you a faulty player home. I'll look at springvale and the surrounding area and see if there's a more flat location.

EDIT: There is, sadly, nowhere around Vault 101 a calvert-style mansion would fit due to it's size; even taking re-sizing into consideration, there is no room for the walls. Where there isn't hills or rocks that can't be adjusted without interfering with the surrounding area, there's events which can be affected. I have even tried fitting the mansion into the area to give it a sunken look, though that just looks lame. There's an area near canturbury commons which is relatively flat - the brahmin fields could be made mansion-worthy - and I can add a map marker for you so teleporting to and from wouldn't be an issue - but I'm not sure how possible it would be to change the vault 101 area without a complete local map overhaul :blink:

I have a rather novel idea I think might help and in fact I think I would like more...if possible would you be able to put a door in mountainside by the road coming out of vault 101 and through Springvale(the idea passed by me when I thought of the House of Earth Mod) that way the door could lead to the mansion/vault area as normal but outside the only access would be the door on the mountainside(just like House of Earth Mod). Then if possible you could make the wall jutting out from the mountainside and creating an enclosure around the door with the gate just at you mentioned and the turrets among the walls and even perhaps a turret mounted above the door on the mountainside as well...is that possible? I am envisioning it in my mind and it looks perfect and perhaps I could explain it more if needed but that's the gist as a idea that wouldn't require any modification of the terrain or surrounding area and would me extremely near vault 101 and Springvale...let me know what you think. :)

I have a rather novel idea I think might help and in fact I think I would like more...if possible would you be able to put a door in mountainside by the road coming out of vault 101 and through Springvale(the idea passed by me when I thought of the House of Earth Mod) that way the door could lead to the mansion/vault area as normal but outside the only access would be the door on the mountainside(just like House of Earth Mod). Then if possible you could make the wall jutting out from the mountainside and creating an enclosure around the door with the gate just at you mentioned and the turrets among the walls and even perhaps a turret mounted above the door on the mountainside as well...is that possible? I am envisioning it in my mind and it looks perfect and perhaps I could explain it more if needed but that's the gist as a idea that wouldn't require any modification of the terrain or surrounding area and would me extremely near vault 101 and Springvale...let me know what you think. :)

I don't see why that won't be possible, it just involves either placing the mansion model inside the mountain and making sure nothing else is showing, or just editing the terrain slightly to include a door. If you would prefer that, I'll look and see what I can do with it; I'll be making an exterior mansion design too, in the area near canterbury commons, after I have finished this request anyway for people who would like to use it with a zombie apocalypse mod too, that way you can just have whichever you prefer (or both) :)

That sounds fine with just modifying it to have a door there instead of having to place the mansion model inside the mountain which could or could not cause some crazy effects in-game :D. That way the door in the mountainside could just lead to the interior cell like the door that would have been on the mansion model would have...as long as the fence and turrets are there I am fine with just the door :)

Ok, that's perfectly possible. I assume you don't want the door to lead directly into the mansion? I could make a vault-style tunnel if you like, or something similiar?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/Trueform/CaveEntrance.png

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/Trueform/CaveEntranceview.png

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/Trueform/CaveEntranceview02.png