The Night Mother

Lehcar

Was anyone else really surprised that it turned out that the Dark Brotherhood's Night Mother really does exist? :unsure:

If the Night Mother is real, does that mean Sithis is real too?... (I'm not doubting, please don't sick the Wrath of Sithis on me!)

Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.

Seriously ... I didn't know what to expect, although I susspected that the Night Mother would be a real person, too. I was certain only that the Night Mother would be a real entity of some sort, based upon what I had experienced of the game's simplistic approach to almost everything. I'll admit I was a bit surprised to find out that she was ethereal, although once in the shrine below the statue I was pretty sure she would be an undead of some sort because it looks very much like a tomb. Unfortunately, we still don't know and official lore on the Night Mother is even more confused and varied than that for Sithis.

What most concerned me, throughout the DB quest line, was what was going to happen with a male player when he finally became the Night "Mother". :unsure:

You actually do know a LITTLE (very little) of the lore about the Night Mother if you read the in-game books.

This one in particular

We do not know, however, whether or not the Night Mother has always what she is now. There are many possibilities.

As for Sithis, however. He does exist, in a sense. Sithis is the Void, meant to be both the representation of outer space, the black between the stars so to speak, and an the unstoppable force of change. The inevitability that what was once empty will return to that emptiness. (According to the DB who admit they really don't understand or care.)

Sithis is not really a being so much (not that Bethesda couldn't pull that one out of nowhere if they wanted) but a force.

But, yes, I was expecting to meet her in person. I kind of wish she wasn't a ghost, because that would fit in with the existing lore better, but then again, this is Oblivion, not Morrowind.

My guess would be that The Night Mother was a person who wished for immortality from Sithis, and the wish was granted. Something like that at least. Anyhow Sithis existence is real, when you are expelled from the dark brotherhood you have to face the wrath of sithis when you got to bed.