Annoying oblivion problem

Moronic Dude007

Here is a troubleshooting tip - revert the game to vanilla - NO mods installed - using this procedure it is completely reversible. (you can put it back like it was)

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus....icle.php?id=340

Now try to install OBMM. Note: if you do revert to your original, you will lose this OBMM and have to reinstall it again.

While you have the vanilla game, make any changes install any mods you want to test. Hopefully you can find the problem.

OBMM

The FULL OBMM manual is accessed by clicking on the Help button on the far right.

In OBMM, look at the bottom of the screen and be sure your display is set for load order. The box just to the right > of the Move Down button. If it is not, click on the small arrow and click on load order in the drop down menu.

Using OBMM to move a mod

Your list of active mods will be on the left side.

Any active mod will have a check in the box. If it is inactive - the box will be empty

select the mod by clicking on it (single click) the mod will be highlighted

look at the bottom of the window and click on the 'Move Up' or 'Move Down'

The mod will move one space per click

Alternative - good for long moves

put cursor on mod to be moved. HOLD down left mouse button and move mod to where you want it. Release.

You can either close OBMM or use the 'Launch Oblivion' button. Either will save the load order to the game. The Launch Oblivion will start the game - if you have OBSE loaded It will start with OBSE if not, it will just start Oblivion. Note: OBMM closes when Oblivion starts - it is NOT active while you are playing.

The vanilla game procedure allows you to remove every mod, and all esp, mesh, texture etc - Your data folder will be renamed and it has you create a new one to put the files needed for a vanilla installation.

The restore, has you put the original data folder back with all of its mods, esps, meshes and textures - exactly like it was - with every problem as well as every mod.

I have not seen an OBMM installation that will start and not allow any action at all. Some functions of OBMM can take some time. But the move an esp is instant. Can you exit the OBMM without using the task manager?

As I said earlier, OBMM is a very stable utility that is used by several hundred thousand users on TesNexus alone.

Edit: New idea. completely uninstall OBMM. Completely remove it from your computer - even any zipped files. Reboot your computer. Run a registry cleaner such as the FREE ccleaner or any good registry cleaner of your choice. Reboot again and Download OBMM - be sure to use a known good source for your OBMM (NOT a torrent). Reinstall and test. Note - rebooting both before and after running the registry cleaner allows windows to do some housekeeping on the registry.

OBMM: http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2097 (OBMM on TesNexus - known safe)

Ccleaner: http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html (A safe source)

I figured out the restore part.

Anyway

I can close and start obmm but whenever i try to perform any action at all, it reports errer(it is in one of my previous posts here).I got obmm from tesnexus.

I got obmm working but only the old 0.7.5 versions

the new ones do that error thingy for some reaseon.

Old obmm works good so i've managed to re-organize load order probably as it should be.

Doubt that'll solve the problem but it's a first step towards the conclusion, right?

Btw, do you know any of the mods from my modlist previously posted?Perhaps one of them could be responsible

but i don't have many spell-related mods and none of them include invisibility.None except for spell tomes( the officila plugin) but i doubt it(i've learned shadow shape or something spell from one of the tomes).No idea what could be the problem.

Hi!

I havent been on here a lot lately but I felt the urge to fire up oblivion again. there are still some quests i havent finished with my current long standing mod combination.

It is exciting to hear about another person who has had the same problem with npc initiated dialogue.

This thread is from when I was having the problem.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/97062-troublesome-bug-involving-invisibility-spell/page__p__780541__hl__%2Bnpc+%2Bcant+%2Bapprehend__fromsearch__1#entry780541

We dont seem to have too many mods in common though.

I never ended up solving the problem, but i found a workaround. You need to cast charm on the npc until their disposition reaches 100. then you wont cast invisibility anymore.

Otherwse you would need to either fix the problem or use wryebash to delete your invisibility spells, but then you wouldnt be able to use the spells anymore and that wont do.

It has been more than a year and a half since i had the problem so maybe there are some other threads about this floating around.

I would appreciate if someone would post some links cause I havent been able to find much with various phrases into the search engine.

Update:

I looked around again snd found this thread. its even older than my thread so i must have just forgotten about it.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=45622&st=0&p=345690&hl=+npc%20+can't%20+start%20+conversation&fromsearch=1entry345690

Nothing new there tho, the dlcs and gbtournament arent the cause. its probably a bug affecting our savegames.

I think I have sort of isolated the problem.Actually I eliminated 1 mod and saw when the bug is ocurring.Apparently when I wake up some of my pirates or first mate(in pirate isles mod) they initiate a conversation as they should, but if I do that with anyone else like blackhorn militia( or any othe npc in fact) that auto-invisibility casting bug happens.Judging by that, the bug seems to appear with npcs that are not my companions or underneath my by rank(as i'm a captain of the ship so pirates are below me).This is a very weird thing.It wouldn't consider it a major bug, but it's soooo annoying.Any ideas on what to do next?

By the way, I applied boss and corrected load order a bit so the mods work a little better now.

Is there a console command to reload all plugins or something because if it's a mod stuck in one mode, then a reload should fix it?

I have an idea for a solution, but it'd be better if someone else would do this.Anyway, if the disposition causes the problem, then instead of casting charm spells to get it to 100, why not write a script that would max out the disposition of npcs when they try to initiate conversation(only then) and after the conversation's over, reset it to what it was before that.I don't know if that's doable, I hope it is.This would solve the bug and would not affect anything since the disp would be reset to it's prior state.

What do you think?