Undoing Mistakes

davidnowlin

As I have been creating my first major mod (which includes a player home and a quest) I have made two mistakes that have caused me a great deal of trouble. First, I attempted to modify a weapon from the DLC, which has caused the mod to load the Operation Anchorage .esm and the Fo3 .esm both as parents every time I start it up. I deleted every reference to the modified DLC weapon, but it still thinks Anchorage is its parent and I don't know how to make it stop thinking that. Second, I wanted to add mannequins to my player home from the mannequin mod, and when I did they glowed so bright they blew out and you can't see the clothes they're wearing, so I wanted to try to edit the mannequin race to make them stop glowing. I took a look at the caucasian race to compare the settings there to the mannequin race (because the caucasian race doesn't glow) and when I closed the window (after making no changes) it changed every character in the game so that it was wearing the default hairstyle. Effectively negating Ling's coiffure and all other hair mods I have installed. There doesn't appear to be any way back from this and I don't know if creating a new caucasian race would help, but I really sort of doubt it.

Is there any way to make a mod that modifies something (like a race or a DLC weapon) just *stop* modifying that thing? Is there a way to undo a change to something like a race so that the mod thinks it never touched that thing? I really don't want to go through and manually redo Ling's coiffure as part of my mod so that my mod doesn't override it, or whatever is going on, and I don't want to go back to an earlier version of my mod and redo everything I've done since then. I want to undo my mistake so that my mod doesn't mod the caucasian race anymore.

I guess what I'm really looking for is... well, is there someplace in a mod something that lists everything that mod changes? And can you just delete certain changes it makes?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Also any suggestions on how to get it to stop thinking Operation Anchorage is its parent would be appreciated as well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - Edit - - - - - - - - - - - - Edit - - - - - - - - - - - - Edit - - - - - - - - - - - - Edit - - - - - - - - - - - - Edit - - - - - - - - - - - - Edit - - - - - - - - - - - -

Found the answer. Apparently it was mostly obvious.

For anyone who may have had this problem and found this topic through a search of the forums, here is how to do it:

if you have accidentally edited a race or something in such a way that it produced unwanted consequences and you want to get rid of the edit (either to start over on that particular section of your mod, or to avoid it all together) without altering the other things your mod does:

Open up FOMM

Right click on your mod

click "open in TESsnip"

find the edit you want to delete (in this example, "caucasian" under the sub-group "GRUP (RACE)"

left click on it to select

From the 'edit' menubar, click on delete (or just push the 'del' key)

Save

It will be as though you never edited that thing

Start learning how to use FO3 edit.

I second that emotion. Miax has made an instruction manual for it as well. It will allow you to eliminate those issues and to find others that you do not know exist right now. The world would be better if modder's clean their mods with FO3Edit before uploading.