What's up with skyrim's weather?

forskyrimmods

I hate to bring logic into a fantasy video game but this always made me think.

In Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion Bruma (Northernmost city in cyrodiil) was snowy.

So if Riverwood is more north than Bruma shouldn't that mean riverwood should be colder than Bruma? Meaning it should also snow there too?

A: magic. Sheogorad is further North than Windhelm, and it's temperate. Normal climate patterns do not apply to Tamriel, and most of its landscapes and environments are literally shaped by and maintained by magic.

B: Altitude and season. Burma could he higher above sea level than the valley in which Falkreath Hold rests, or the 'static' image in both TES games could be representative of different seasons.

It's mostly the influence of the Towers. They're like giant terraforming arrays which literally shape the world around them. Summerset was turned into a beautiful, warm paradise by the will of the Altmer, channeled through Crystal-like-law. Skyrim seems to have been shaped by the Falmer, Cyrodiil by the Aykeids and then the Cyrods etc.. Highrock is likely the 'blank slate' template, being the closest to Adamantia, and Morrowinds weirdness is likely caused by the Heart...

Then there's Black Marsh and the Hist, but that's a whole kettle of other worms.

But yeah, generally speaking, magic screws up any attempt at understanding Tamriel through conventional means. The spread of Ebony has nothnling to do with geology, for instance, but the literal blood of a god seeping through the earth.

If it doesn't make scientific sense, it's usually magic.

Edited by Lachdonin

As someone who just 'entered' the world of the Elder Scrolls, things seems to be going from weird to weirder as far as trying to understand conventional things. For instance the stars/sun are actual gaps from the Aedra. Truly nothing is what it seems in Tamriel / Nirn.

So if Skyrim was in the Normal World, the entire Land would be covered in Snow in witch i think theres a Mod for that.

Anyway, isent Iceland in the North yet it has Grass.

What i do find weird about Skyrim, is the fact that the Game doesent give the Winter Clothing and Armor to cover up as it should. Hence you can run Naked in Windhelm on a Stormy Weather as if on a hot sunny summers day.

Why Bethesda cant come up with a Design like the Frostfall Mod is beyond me.

I swear, Modders are the Real Game Designers that Thinks up the stuff where a Video Game Company cant come with the stuff like Realism.

Edited by daventry

I don't think the micromanagement of something similar to frostfall would be something the majority of gamers would like to have in there game so they won't put it in because of profits.

It seems as skyrim is divided up into 4 seasons

The reach and Haafingar (west skyrim) - Summer

Whiterun hold and falkreath hold (south skyrim) - Spring

The rift and eastmarch (east skyrim) - Autumn/spring

Hjaalmarch and The Pale (North skyrim) - winter

So that looks like skyrim's season system.

Fun fact, the PGE references tribes of Nords who live on the northern glaciers, and are so immune to cold they don't wear clothes.

Also, Skyrim has flying whales that urinate LSD snow.

And Akavir is in the future, while Yokuda is in the past! Welcome to the rabbit hole!