ICERAY2000

125 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about STEAM?

• Better than Free iPhones
    • Great - never a problem
    • whatever
    • not very happy about it
    • the end of my Fallout days are here
  2. 2. Should Fallout New Vegas be a completely open game?

• yes - modders need it to be
    • no - vanilla is enough flavor for me

@erszebet

So I am paranoid now! Interesting... the next phase is normally a nice comment like 'Shut the ...up and live with it.' (original comment to a legit an friendly post from another steam fan).

I know pretty good how viral marketing works (I worked several years in the advertising business) and as there where to many complains in Bethsofts forum a squad of bad trained 'Newbie' posters showed up to tell us how wonderful steam is. I can see absolute no advantage in playing and modding this game with steam only downsides.

Some facts:

Steam as copy protection: failed three hours after release

Steam as gamesave backup: failed and a lot of angry users

Steam doesn't disturb modding: failed DARN is heavily fighting to get one of the best mods for FNV running but the continues file restoring from steam will get us modders a lot of headaches.

I don't want to talk about negative things only here:

Steam as update delivery service: maybe not failed. Hard to tell the UI of steam is so unintuitive that I can't tell if it has updated my game.

Now some words about data collecting:

If steam would only collect how long I played a game I wouldn't say much (btw. why should it for a single player game?). But steam collects the whole PC configuration and what software I have installed too. So don't play the harmless card. Information is money today and Valve knows this.

@FoolyCooly

Cheaper as in retail??????

Tell this an Australian buyer of this game I think they get very angry.

Btw. here in Austria (no Kangaroos only Lipizaner Horses ;) ) it was cheaper to buy NV retail with horribe shipping costs (release day delivery) then buying per steam.

Steam doesn't disturb modding: failed DARN is heavily fighting to get one of the best mods for FNV running but the continues file restoring from steam will get us modders a lot of headaches.

Um, sorry what? Please trying using actual facts and not things you've made up to suit your arguement. I'm using several .esp mods already, they work without incident and considering the GECK tool was released I seriously doubt they'd do that if it was unmoddable. Here's a tip, picking one instance where people have had trouble dosen't make it a universal truth.

Regardless, this issue is a moot point. You can piss and moan about Steam and the rest of us will go about enjoying our day and playing our games, it hardly needs defending considering its vast popularity and large scale success amongst regular PC gamers, it does it's job well and effectively at being an amazing platform for delivering PC gaming content and news, and keeping up with online gamer friends. Crying won't get you anything in return and the only one you're going to annoy is yourself.

Oh wow I cant believe how much arguing is going on about Steam. Really.

New Vegas is on Steam. It's just another program. In the next few weeks all the save game deletion and other problems that can be associated with it will be removed so you can stop whining.

@FoolyCooly

I pretty knew what would happen as soon as someone says something about this holy cow a strange language appears.

I don't

piss and moan

and I would never use these words.

I talk about facts:

Look here: link

DarnUI changes INF and INI files. It isn't a simples esp with a few game edits. Mods for FO3 have reached a very high quality in the meantime and need access to a lot resources of the game. If we want the same thing in Vegas we have to find ways to trick steam. FOSE a script language extension is the next big challenge let's hope we get it.

I didn't write unmoddable I wrote: Steam disturbs modding. Many essential things for sophisticated mods that where possible in FO3 and Oblivion are disturbed by steam in the moment.

I don't cry or am annoyed. Steam was an addition to Fallout New Vegas which didn't brought any useful features for me. That's simply my opinion and I state it. Anything wrong with it? No problem that you have another opinion. It's a free Internet at least yet.

@DeadYorick

If it was 'just another program' no problem. It does a lot more. Read my other posts here.

I talk about facts:

Look here: link

And yet, he worked around it. As he has 3 screens already ported. Steam does modify the ini files, but that is easily worked around.

I could care less if it was on steam or not. I have bought many games on Steam, and many boxed games. It's just another delivery method, like Xbox Live.

• Can Steam collect information about me.. yep. And so can anyone else who bothers to dig. Anyone have a NetFlix account? Facebook? Twitter?
  • Does Steam have DRM? Yep. It sure as hell beats SecureRom, and StarForce (can we say dead DVD players)
  • Does Steam make modding difficult? Yep. And we'll work around it. When FO:3 was first released we didn't have the multitude of tools we do now. That takes time, the games may use the same base engine, but they are definitely not the same.
  • Does having to connect to the internet affect some people? Yep. And it's not like this being a Steam game was a surprise. There is a warning on the back of the game stating it requires an internet connection for activation.

I'm not defending Steam, or Bethesda, or Obsidian. They decided how to release. I personally don't have any objections to Steam, so I bought New Vegas and will play and enjoy it. I hold no ill will towards those who feel that Steam is a deal breaker either. To each their own.

Steam is like a rapist who wears a condom, just like GFWL. THAT and along with all of the problems and bugs killed any interest I had in New Vegas. Gonna pass on this turkey of a game. I'll save the $40.00 for the next BethSoft trainwreck.

EDIT: Jim beat me to the GFWL thing.

HA! TRY $60.00 for the PC! I'm soooo not going there.

<Entertaining_Fallacious_Comment_for_Arbitrary_Side />

Oh, and edit to point out that the 2nd poll question presents a false dilemma, and I'm finding it impossible to answer accurately.

And this makes me sad :c

As the song says, "Don't worry, be Happy!" I asked that one because I read a "rumor" that there will be issues with MODS done the way they are for FO3, in that STEAM may not be able to support them. It was aimed at STEAM, not at your happiness!

Have never had an issue with Steam so it doesn't bother me. Now GFWL is another story. What a piece of junk that is. Been using steam steady since HL2 and i actually spend time on it reading news and DL'ing demo's. I will not however buy a game from steam or any retailer that is a digital DL. For one if im paying full price for a game I want everything I can get. Disc's manuals and shiny box. Also, I have games that are 15 years old in pristine condition. I keep all my stuff like that. Back to Quake 1, Duke Nukem, Tomb Raider 1 many many others. My point is I can still run many games I have had for years I just reinstalled Deus Ex a month ago and it ran fine on WIn 7 64 bit. The game is like 10 years old. Will Steam or any online retailer still have the game I purchased available for me to re-down load in 10 years ?? I seriously doubt it.

Sorry I went off on a tangent there. Carry on :)

I've always hated Steam. My first experience with it was the Dawn of War II con (the game wasn't on the disk, had to be downloaded off of Steam even though you bought the box, and it was slow as hell). I am very upset that I can't install this outside of Steam, less of a pain to mess with mods. I won't be downloading any until that's changed or we get some kind of automated mod manager (I can't even activate ESPs without crashing the Data Files menu).

However, I am enjoying Vanilla... but without mods this game will just be good for one or two play-throughs. And at least the game was actually on the disk this time.