Modularity

Lehcar

I really wish Dragon Age was as moddable as Oblivion. Seriously, I had ambitions that I had to give up on! Take, for example, my desire to build on Orzammar and really expand the whole city to make it seem larger...

But I had to give up on it when I realized that making adjustments to world spaces is nigh impossible in DA with the toolkit... :wacko:

... But I had to give up on it when I realized that making adjustments to world spaces is nigh impossible in DA with the toolkit... :wacko:

Yup, that's what makes Oblivion an "Open World" game. DA never intended (or tried) to be one. That's one of the ways in which a plot-driven game differs from an environment-driven one.

For the plot to make sense, there have to be a some significant constraints on where and when the PC goes. I'm actually pretty impressed at how successfully the writers and devs were able to make Ferelden "feel" open to my whims as I wandered through it in my first several playthroughs. The limitations weren't that apparent until I had rung the changes on them.

I'm told (by my son who plays it) that one can wander in Oblivion essentially forever, without bothering to move the "story" along at all. Since I'm proudest of having earned the "Perfectionist", "Explorer" and "Easily Sidetracked" trophies, Open World = Endless Nightmare for me! :laugh: