Dialogue, Scripts Won't Save

Kitpup

Leave off the "player"? Is it giving you an error message?

From the Wiki:

AddTopic adds a topic to the Player's list of known topics.

Only topics in this list can appear in an NPC's topic list during dialogue. Topics can also be added using the AddTopic list in the dialogue editor window.

Syntax

AddTopic TopicID

Example:

AddTopic HiddenCave

Edited because: I hit "post" too soon.

Yep, I used a topic I have. I found out the reason I couldn't get it to show in conversation was for a lack of script, so I wrote the script as seen in the thread I linked in the first post, and it refused to save and would not say why. Simply NOT saving when I tell it to.

I don't think the category function AddTopic will work on the player's toon. Since you already have the script try this.

Create a new NPC to provide the topic or use a non-quest related vanilla NPC. There are plenty of them in the IC with one line of dialogue and that's it. If you choose to add a new NPC drag and drop them to the game world and make them a persistent reference and give them a reference ID.

Create a Quest with two Stages (5 and 10) and edit your script:

scn KLFAddTopic

short doonce

begin gamemode

>if doonce == 0

>>setstage KLFAddTopicQuest 5

>>>the NPCs RefID here.addtopic ShadowCrest

>>>set doonce to 1

>endif

end

;the > indicate Tab strokes in the Script Window. Don't type them.

Now on the topics tab in the Quest Window right click on the lefthand side where the Topics list is and select New. Find your topic in the dropdown and double click it. That should add the topic to the quest. Now you can type the player's dialogue and the NPC's response. Now in the Script Result End Box type:

SetStage KLFAddTopicQuest 10

StopQuest KLFAddTopicQuest

That will remove the topic from the NPC once the quest is completed. Once that's done go to the bottom where the Conditions are and right click and select New. You will be adding two conditions. The conditions you want to add are GetIsID (the NPCs name) == 1 and GetStage KLFAddTopicQuest <= 10. That will make the topic restricted to that NPC and available to that NPC for the span of the first two stages of the quest.

I might not have explained this clearly but I know it works because I've done it hundreds of times with all of the voiced mods I've made. And be sure to add your script to the quest and also be sure your Script type is Quest and not Object or anything else.

I hope this helps and good luck. :thumbsup: