Help getting started

PaulMcGann

So, I'm looking to get started with some texture editing. Could someone please tell me (or point me to a tutorial describing) how to do so?

I've heard there are two different modding tools for Inquisition. Which one should I use? Which texture editing software should I use?

Also, is it possible to import textures from another source into the game? Like, say I wanted to use Witcher 2 assets (which CD ProjektRED has made available for free for modding), essentially making the Skyhold pajamas look as close as possible to an armor from that game, or to a custom texture a friend made from scratch.

Any help given would be hugely appreciated. I'm something of a novice here. Thank you.

Is that so?

So, what would the leather shoulder/thigh pad count as? It's a similar asset that I want to edit - a part that goes on multiple different armors throughout the game. (Specifically, the "scale mail" portions mostly on the heavy armors for the Inquisitor.)

And thanks for the link, Grimm. Going to check it out now.

If you just want to alter textures like changing the color of it then you should be able to do that. You will just need to find the item in the game directory using the mod tool but if you wish to alter its shape or replace it with another item entirely then the current mod tool doesn't support that.

I'm well aware of the difference between meshes and textures. I get where you're coming from, but that's not what I was asking.

Also, textures are more than just colors. There is a lot involved.

Also, it's sort of possible to change the shape of things through textures in certain circumstances. Ie, there was a Skyrim mod that made part of bushes transparent, thereby changing their shape.