Silent dialog?

ceyxxx

I have successfully installed a couple of mods, but I am having the same problem with all of them. When I meet a character, I can hear them say hello and goodbye, but that's it. When I choose a question to ask them, they just stand there for a fixed period of time. Their lips don't move, I can't hear them talk, and no text shows up on the screen. What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. My first guess is that one of the mods that you have enabled has buggered up the generic NPC dialogue. If you are not familiar with FO3Edit's conflict resolution detection, and you don't have too many mods installed, try disabling them all and enabling them again one at a time until the glitch appears. Then disable that mod and see if the others work ok without it.

I tried wiping out my installation, including saved games, DLC, etc, and reinstalling from scratch. I then used FO3Edit and FOMM to launch Fallout.esm, ThePitt.esm (prerequisite), and TheTownMa.esm. I experienced the same issue as before. Since this is the first time that I am trying user-made content, could you answer a couple of simple questions in case I'm not understanding things right?

1. Am I supposed to be hearing the NPC dialog, or is a text response supposed to show up on screen?

2. Are the NPC's lips supposed to be moving?

Thanks for your kind help.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to my question is ridiculously simple.

a) No, not all user made mods have NPC audio for dialog.

b) Simply (re)enable "Dialog Subtitles" (Settings...Display...Dialog Subtitles).

I wish people would take the time to read and understand a question before answering it. The solution is usually much simpler than what they suggest.

ceyxxx

"The simplest answer is usually the correct answer." - Occam's razor