Help Generating LOD

JoshBadWriter

Hello everyone,

I would like to finally create my own worldspace for my next mod, but I can't generate LOD for new worldspaces. My computer just isn't up to snuff unfortunately.

The worldspace will be relatively small, but I'm not sure of the exact size yet as I haven't started working on it. No point in spending weeks on a worldspace and not be able to create the LOD for it. I don't expect it to take more than a week, two tops.

I would greatly appreicate any help. I've already got two mods under my belt and feel fairly confident this new one will be my best yet.

Thanks,

JoshBadWriter

Hi!

What do you mean with "crashing"? "Program violated memory bla bla" or "This program has stopped responding"

To old for LOD generating is a "vague" definition since G.E.C.K. is single CPU user, if you have an "old" P4 2.4GHz something CPU you should be good to go at least for smaller worlds. Memory however might be a bottle neck but still not crazy demands.

Can you tell what the "piece of junk" is made of for a starter? :smile:

I just recently generated LOD for a cpl worldspaces (4 year old PC, not exactly junk but no longer state of the art), and the biggest thing I noticed was the extreme non-linearality of the time required. 9 chunks (around 25 exterior cells) took about 15 minutes. 26 chunks took over 10 hours. So I suspect your success will depend on your definition of "small".

EDIT: Also, if GECK is not responding, it might still be working. Even if it CTDs after some amount of time, it won't regenerate any LOD NIFs already present in the folder, so it can pick up where it left off.

Hi!

What do you mean with "crashing"? "Program violated memory bla bla" or "This program has stopped responding"

To old for LOD generating is a "vague" definition since G.E.C.K. is single CPU user, if you have an "old" P4 2.4GHz something CPU you should be good to go at least for smaller worlds. Memory however might be a bottle neck but still not crazy demands.

Can you tell what the "piece of junk" is made of for a starter? :smile:

It's a machine. Its rectangular and makes a humming noise. I think there are some electrical parts in there, but I'm not sure.

I'm kidding. Seriously though, I'm not sure what half of you said. I've got an AMD A6-3620 APU, 2.20 GHz with 8GB of memory. It's an old computer from 2008 I think. It's not great, I have to play most games on medium quality, and I do some video work and it usually crashes when I edit video.

I just recently generated LOD for a cpl worldspaces (4 year old PC, not exactly junk but no longer state of the art), and the biggest thing I noticed was the extreme non-linearality of the time required. 9 chunks (around 25 exterior cells) took about 15 minutes. 26 chunks took over 10 hours. So I suspect your success will depend on your definition of "small".

EDIT: Also, if GECK is not responding, it might still be working. Even if it CTDs after some amount of time, it won't regenerate any LOD NIFs already present in the folder, so it can pick up where it left off.

Well, when I tried to generate LOD for my old mod, my computer crapped out. I don't remember the size of that worldspace, but I gave up after 10 hours and seeing it stuck on 4%. Maybe it really was working the progress bar was stuck, but I simply don't have 10+ hours to donate to one thing.

No matter, I might have found someone to do it for me. It's a bit sketchy at the moment. I'll come back and update one way or the other.

Hi!

8GB RAM, check! :thumbsup: Good to go!

CPU 4core @ 2.2GHz , not the fastest BUT will do!

Needing to play games on medium almost all have to do with the GPU aka graphics card, for GECK generating LOD the CPU is all that matters. Since you say it usually crash when editing video, I'm a bit worried you have a hardware failure like bad memory or power issues, or something similar. Can be tricky to find out the reason.

10 hours straight when running LOD is fully OK! if you have a world bigger than 256 cells in your case that's the second tier or more. If you have a world up to exact 256 cells in an exact square I presume you would have it LOD made within half an hour with your PC.

Why I ask how you decide it failed LOD generating is because lot of people assume it bailed out when they see Windows message about "Program not responding". If you fire up Task Manager and locate the GECK instance process you see it still ticking with (in your case 25% [1 core of 4] if not then it has truly failed).

If you have fetched someone already that can spare CPU power and run LOD generation for you, just great!

Another uselfull tip for creating LOD. Give your Geck the LAA treatment so it can use more memory:

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

it helped a lot for me.

You may also want this when you get it to run: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36693/?

And this site, although it is in Italian, has points you need to hit. http://falloutthegame.forumfree.it/?t=67880767

I wish Freddie was still around to give you his exact specs. He built a PC out of old parts that were top of the line in 2008, but can be found in the bargain bin these days, to sit and do nothing but render LOD. Ours ran for 14 days, and like was said above, smaller ones take 8-12 hours. For 14 days, it will tell you that "The programme has stopped responding," so just don't touch it, and don't do anything to the PC while it works. Even take it off the internet and just let it run. It might surprise you.

Edited by Thaiauxn

Off topic

And this site, although it is in Italian, has points you need to hit. http://falloutthegame.forumfree.it/?t=67880767

Oh my god, I wrote that! *lol* And I even name you, in a part... ;)

Well, excluding that... the main reason of this message is thanking someone that once used his computer to make my LOD. And it took TWO WEEKS. And I guess I never thanked him enough. Oh and I don't want to make names because I'm not sure if it's fair and he wants it. I'll just say he's in this thread. Thank you, publicly.

Edited by Fallout2AM