NCR Glitch/Bug and Unable to Open Console

RZ1029

**WARNING... THERE ARE SPOILERS**

Alright, I'm doing the quest, For the Republic, Part 2 where I'm supposed to speak to Ranger Grant (AKA, You'll Know It When It Happens quest). I go speak to him, and the only option to talk to him is "goodbye". I've read in numerous places you can often fix this by using console and disabling/enabling Ranger Grant. And here's where issue, part two, comes in.

I can't get my console to open.

I'm not using a wide screen monitor, and I don't think it's an issue with it being off-screen. I hit the ~ key (which is shared with ` on my keyboard, is that an issue?) and nothing happens. I can still press WASD and it'll move me around, I can press R and it'll holster/draw/reload, etc. I tried remapping my Insert key to the same aforementioned key, with no luck.

I do NOT have the MIRC (Microsoft Infrared Remote Control) driver interfering, because I don't seem to have it at all. The key works fine in Word, Notepad, or pretty much anything else, including the remapped key.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (2.20 GHz), 4 GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 4350. Oh, and I'm using a PS/2 keyboard, not a USB keyboard and a iHome mouse if that matters.

If you have any solutions to either issue, I'll appreciate it. Any suggestions, ideas, etc. please drop them below. Thanks guys.

I'd check to see if MIRC is on anyway, find the instructions for disabling it somewhere, since I can't think of them right now. You don't have to have the drivers for it to interfere, it just has to be set to ON, so drivers or not, it may still be your problem. If the tilde key isn't located in the top left corner just below the ESC key, then that might also be an explanation. I'm not very technical, but I do try to help. If this doesn't work, hopefully someone more experienced knows how to fix it.

I'd check to see if MIRC is on anyway, find the instructions for disabling it somewhere, since I can't think of them right now. You don't have to have the drivers for it to interfere, it just has to be set to ON, so drivers or not, it may still be your problem. If the tilde key isn't located in the top left corner just below the ESC key, then that might also be an explanation. I'm not very technical, but I do try to help. If this doesn't work, hopefully someone more experienced knows how to fix it.

Thanks, I appreciate you giving it a shot. I'll go try that now and see if it'll work.

Ok, due entirely to an accident where I decided to update my video card drivers, I found a driver in my Sys32 folder that was called hidir.sys (Microsoft Infrared HID Driver) is this what I am looking for and would it be safe/ok to delete it? (I don't have any infrared devices.)

EDIT: I've also found a folder called ehome in my C/Windows folder. Apparently that has all the Media Center controls, including the MIRC, but I can't figure out which one will turn it off. There are a number of .dlls and .exes, and I can not disable the remote from inside the media center like (apparently) I'm supposed to be able to, according to a post I read on the Microsoft Forums.

EDIT2: I found this link http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/22f18eeb-fae0-45f9-88a7-ed25e9777cbe where the last poster said to simply rename the above driver I had found, and it fixed his/her problem. Now, judging by the fact that he was still able to post after doing so, I feel fairly safe doing it, but I'd like to get a second opinion from you guys before I do.

I appreciate the help.

in the ancient times when I used to play Oblivion, I couldn't open the console due to a receptor for remote controls I had connected on my PC because it came with media center and media center comes with a remote control and the receiver.

The very same moment I disconnected the receiver, I got my console working.

Right, only problem is, I don't have an Infrared Receiver plugged in, and to the best of my knowledge I don't have an internal one. (I'm using an HP Pavilion desktop)

EDIT: I tried the above fix mentioned in Edit 2, with no luck after two reboots.

EDIT2: Problem solved, NVSE + Alt Console Access mod fixed both issue and I finally got to finish the NCR ending. (Awesome, btw.)